VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Is it possible and what would I need to swap over from a donor high mileage 102bhp engine to a low mileage 88bhp engine to achieve the 102bhp?

Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There is a difference in the injectors, but if you only want 102 from your 88, you need to stick the intercooler from the 102 onto your 88, then get someone to remap it for you! All very straight forward and the intercooler & pipes should just swap right over T:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a difference in the injectors, but if you only want 102 from your 88, you need to stick the intercooler from the 102 onto your 88, then get someone to remap it for you! All very straight forward and the intercooler & pipes should just swap right over T:
Thanks Billy:) would I be able to swap the ecu's over instead of a remap? would it be worth swapping the injectors as well?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wouldn't know if swopping the ECU is a good idea, the injectors in the 88 should be fine for a small power increase, so no point changing them, I think rake on here sells the modified stanadyne injectors that is a straight swop for your 88 injectors, this will give you a lot more power when the intercooler is fitted and you remap it. People here say pendle seems to be the boys to remap your ECU
You will be amazed at the difference changing your injectors will make to the power increase T:

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you just use the 102 ECU on the 88 engine it will be really flat off the bottom end and short on power generally. However, you won't have to re-align the immobiliser. The 88 will run right once the immo is aligned to suit your chassis, but will only be an 88 of course.

Are you sure the 102 is worn badly enough to consider swapping it? They usually cope fine with huge mileage, if serviced well.

If you really want to fit an 88 in place of a 102 you would want to fit the 102 ECU, injector pump, injectors and flywheel/clutch. It would be a good idea to have the injector timing maps from an 88 flashed into the 102 ECU too, as the compression is higher on an 88 so the 102 runs more advance. Just retarding the pump won't do it, as the ECU has 'target maps' for timing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advise guysT:, looks like it would be a much bigger job than hoped for so will probably just stick with the 88bhp. The engine is not that worn, its just I am looking to buy a much lower milage T4 in much better condition (would like a 102bhp but will probably have to go for a 88bhp) as a new project.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks for the advise guysT:, looks like it would be a much bigger job than hoped for so will probably just stick with the 88bhp. The engine is not that worn, its just I am looking to buy a much lower milage T4 in much better condition (would like a 102bhp but will probably have to go for a 88bhp) as a new project.
Speak to transducer (Billy) on here. We tweaked his 88bhp T4 for him with the Rake injector mod.

10,824 Posts

If your engine (88) is in tip top condition then yes it is worth transferring bits over, if you used the injectors it's worth upgrading the nozzles too, rake does a exchange basis on those and all you would need is the longer injector pipe and the i/c very easy jobs to do and with a map you're looking at 150hp. Just changing the i/c won't rely make a difference but does help the engine run better T:

Although won't make it a 102 as gearbox's etc are different but will be vastly superior anyway.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I'm not an expert. Did I read here that somebody with a Blue I made in excess of 102 bhp with a remap and no intercooler?

I got the faint impression that the standard intercooler, (in a 102 Silver I for example), was small and relatively inefficient compared to a front mounted intercooler given it's siting on top of a hot engine, thereby reducing it's heat exchange facility.

I've got a low mileage 88 bhp almost ready for the road, (currently in a 67bhp 2.4D), so if I'm not happy with the poke then 100-130 bhp with no visible mods, (I'm thinking here of insurance loss adjusters), might keep me happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts