VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Im lucky enough to have a decent amount of money for a camper :) well about £6000.I've also been driving my boyfriend crazywith the constant babblings of t4's!

ive been looking in general since september last year, but not planning on getting one until march this year. Ive seen some outstanding vans, but they've always been out of my price range (as I need to take insurance and tax out of my money).

even though ive seen some great vans, theyve never quite been exactly what I want. This is where the thought of buying a van and getting it converted comes in? But im not sure if I would be taking on something too much for me, although I wouldnt be doing the work myself, maybe more than my purse can handle!

I would like to eventually have a full camper t4, kitchen type units with sink/hob/fridge, wardrobe, r&r bed. The trouble is finding a ready built van where the mechanics are good with good mileage.

Anyone got any suggestions? or know of any good vans for sale?

Rox

·
Registered
306 Posts
Rox,

Best bit about doing a van yourself, or having it done by someone for you, is that it is designed for you and by you, your interior colours and what you want in it. Buying a ready made van is someone else's van, not that I'm knocking that at all; if you are like me, however, you will want to change something on it!
If you get yourself a decent starter van, you can see from the bottom up what state it is in. When you have one mechanically sound, you have your blank canvas.

My green van was all in all around the £4-5k mark, £2400 to buy the van as it was, with a lot of hours being put in by Toby at T4life and the T4Life co-operative (me, Gord28, Cunny and Sam T: ), but the finished product is not only worth a lot more, having had someone offer me £9k on the spot for it, but it's the pride of having part in the creation in something that is most certainly mine. (and Nats and the kids!)

There are many people to offer help and advice, here in the forum and at shows, meets and even in the street - ask anyone about their van and the will be overjoyed to tell you what they did, how they did it and who they got the bits from. By all means go for a ready built one, but have a look at my rusty thread to see the horrors that can be hidden! That isn't to put you off - if I hadn't got rusty, I wouldn't have met Toby and then never have found greenie, but it depends on the budget you have and the time you have to search. I am always tweaking greenie and will be for a while, as cash flow allows. If you buy a stonking van for 4 grand and you get it plyed and insulated with nothing but a mattress in the back, you are at a starting point and you can add as you go.
Many on this forum have their build threads or advice on buying - one big family where we are only to happy to help. :D

Dave
:ILU:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys this has been really helpful :) and to hear your van was 4-5k is reasurring :)

watch this space!

anymore input will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I've looked at Greenies transformation - very impressed!

Looked at T4Life website too and love the work you guys do! just need to find a decent base van :confused:

Would definately be up for bringing my van (when I get one) from Leicester to you guys at T4Life... Looked at the services you provide and it's great stuff as well as great value for money! It's just the electrics and proper "Man car stuff" that I just can't do myself as I wouldn't know where to start! :*

Is it something you could help out with?

Thaaanks.

Rox. :ILU:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Rox,

I am in a very similar situation, however I have already found my van luckily :)

I did not do the research on suppliers etc before hand, so if you find any in the local area please share as I am nr Leicester as well. I plan a 3/4 rock n roll bed with kitchen units etc but need to figure out the best deals.

Have you figured out if there are any local meets close by?

Gareth

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi. Me and my fellas was going to go down the route of paying someone else but we then decided its more fun to do it ourselves. Only t
Ning the fella don't wan to do is window fitting and fitting the r n r as we need seat belts and want to make sure there done right. Windows are getting put in this Saturday and then the fun begins :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
hi ya
prop better off do it yourself a lot cheaper,i should be posting up pics some of our camper soon as its nearly there now

its having patenice and time

thanks
simon

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi, I bought a caravelle 03 plate for 5k. In silver and the thing is its more than halfway there, ie insulated carpeted and panelled all done by Vw. Windows already fitted and captain seats up front. Would totally recommend.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would say buy a standard van. What sort of layout were you thinking of? full width bed or 3/4 and units down the side? I use my van for work and weekends away so have gone for a full width bed (ikea lycksele) bought from ebay for £10. Do a search on them brilliant bit of kit if you don't need seat belts in the back. Then carpet from mega van mats about £100. My carpet for the floor I got for free. The carpeting is really easy to do yourself and I'm sure some one local to you would give you a hand. So my vans real basic compared to others but does what I need. It doesn't have to cost mega money you just need to research and hunt for bargains. T:
A picture of my £110 conversion :)
I still have a tiny bit of carpeting to finish off, but its usable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah I've looked at Greenies transformation - very impressed!

Looked at T4Life website too and love the work you guys do! just need to find a decent base van :confused:

Would definately be up for bringing my van (when I get one) from Leicester to you guys at T4Life... Looked at the services you provide and it's great stuff as well as great value for money! It's just the electrics and proper "Man car stuff" that I just can't do myself as I wouldn't know where to start! :*

Is it something you could help out with?

Thaaanks.

Rox. :ILU:
This is what Toby did to my standard T5 panel van :D

I'm over the moon T: And the price OMG very good :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh and don't let Jockspice talk you into getting a green one, whites the future LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

Only jocking Dave T:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is what Toby did to my standard T5 panel van :D

I'm over the moon T: And the price OMG very good :D:D:D:D
This is just the kind of thing I'm wanting - got my van now too (well picking it up on friday!) and it's blue, not white, but I'm ok with that :p

I need to get hold of a fridge and a hob/sink unit.

Have NO idea about anything electic/wiring - would like pretty much the same set up you have! Plus some lighting in the ceiling.
Maybe you could give me a checklist? have tried to look up what I will need but still confused :confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts