VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want to convert the 12v in the dash tray to a usb connection with a toggle switch (as I think the power is always on?)

I am doing it to run a little amplifier for a couple of speakers for our kids dvd player at the back because the other output options are (this little rig (running on 12v too, is the best option with what we could buy!)

Can anyone advice whether they have done something like this with the 12v connector before? any problems with just taking the live feed?

Thanks in advance smarter than me people!

J:ILU:

·
Special Rapporteur
9,765 Posts
If it's a low-power device, you might be better taking power from Fuse 12 (typo! Should say Fuse 19), because then you won't need a switch (it stays on with the key in the ignition and turns of when you remove the key).

There are plenty of 12V to USB adapters on Ebay, in a variety of shapes and sizes so it should be easy enough to find one that will fit.

But if it's serving something in the back you may be better off taking 12V power from under the passenger seat and running a socket back from there, as it's much less distance to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to put the little amp in the glove box where I've got my other usb connections. Do you think its a bad idea to take it from the dash? I have a switch already.

Fuse 12 is a good shout though, I was just hoping for minimum work as the wiring is already there for the socket!

·
Special Rapporteur
9,765 Posts
[Fuse 12 should actually be Fuse 19 - mis-typed earlier!]

Sure - there's lots of ways of skinning that cat. I would do it differently but there's nothing wrong with taking permanent 12V from the lighter socket. Exactly the same circuit is accessible under the passenger seat on a T5.1. I'd be worried about leaving it switched on and flattening the battery, but if you know you won't do that, permanent live and a switch should be Ok.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,166 Posts
Using the power from the Dash Tray connection should be fine - adding an inline switch could be a good idea if your T5 doesn't get used on a fairly frequent basis.

I fitted a 12V Socket and a twin USB in the glovebox (I actually used a leisure battery feed but could have easily used the cigar lighter connection)
I inset them so they took no room up ...

Glovebox Sockets
by David, on Flickr
There is a particular way they need to be fitted there to allow the glovebox to be refitted, but as that is usually a one-off job, not a real problem T:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great! Have you got a wiring diagram? I am a newbie with electronics, I fitted the stereo but thats my limit!

Also do I have to worry about the 'negative circuit' of the car?

Thanks!

J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts