VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've finally finished putting my conversion through the process of getting it transferred to a camper van. The rest of the blog still has to catch up but I've detailed how I went through the legal process in a blog post here. I'll admit, there was some head banging off walls, some harsh language but if I'd have had the relevant information to hand it would have been a lot easier. So I hope this post is of use to others. See you on the road.

:ILU:

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Good stuff.

Thanks for the effort. I'm still in the middle of the process.

/M

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello All,

I will shortly be going through this process myself with my 2005 lwb 1.9tdi. Very helpful link there, but I was of the opinion that the vrt was calculated as a percentage of the omsp of the base van, and not the converted van.

Oh yeah, and I didn't keep any receipts for my conversion either, uh-oh....

Louis.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Louis,

The VRT of the van was definitely calculated as 13.3 % of the current market value of the van (10,000). What does omsp mean?

Hello All,

I will shortly be going through this process myself with my 2005 lwb 1.9tdi. Very helpful link there, but I was of the opinion that the vrt was calculated as a percentage of the omsp of the base van, and not the converted van.

Oh yeah, and I didn't keep any receipts for my conversion either, uh-oh....

Louis.

·
Registered
46 Posts
omsp: open market sale price. Its the value of the van after the conversion. When a brand new camper is assessed for vrt in Ireland it goes on the value of the camper not the van that was converted, same applies here.

Ive been through the process with a car I imported, and was able to appeal the vrt ruling after I paid it (can be done within 30 days of re-registration), 90% of cases are successful. I got back 1100 euros, I wonder does the same apply here.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi there

Can you answer me this? I have a 1992 Volkswagen Multivan and most of the things needed for a camper are in it, bed table etc etc, all i need is a hob unit, do i then have to pay money to the tax office to have the van converted?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi there

Can you answer me this? I have a 1992 Volkswagen Multivan and most of the things needed for a camper are in it, bed table etc etc, all i need is a hob unit, do i then have to pay money to the tax office to have the van converted?
You don't pay money to the tax office to have the van converted, you pay money (VRT) on a commercial vehicle when you are having the classification changed to a private vehicle. A multivan is a private vehicle as it carries passengers in the rear so it has already had VRT paid when it came into the country.

So if you want it registered as a camper you just need to stick a hob in it (and possibly a sink depending on insurance), have it inspected and then go to tax office and have it reclassified as a camper.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah thanks for that!

Ive done alot of writing on this subject myself, As i just happened to ring VRT to ask about conversions in Jan last year and thats when i heard the height rule had changed so i was trying to inform as many people as possible!

There is always however confusion as to the process but youve seemed to have answered all the questions step by step so i tip my hat to you and say thanks!

Im just waiting for my hob unit from reimo, they are supplied in Ireland but only in May is the one i want in stock, my go straight to germany for it though!

Thanks again for helping with your informative blog!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No hassles - if it wasn't for Donegal Danny, and probably yourself too, telling me the restriction was gone I'd still be driving a commercial with a bench along the side.

I met a guy the other day who had a 10 Reg T5 which he had professionally converted in 2010. After the conversion he went to his local tax office who inspected and measured the van, signed off on it, and NOBODY asked him to pay VRT!! Jammy git. It's no wonder they made the process more centralised.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi all, havent been on here in a while. Just a question on the seats in the rear for the purpose of converting to camper.. does this mean proper RIB and Reimo rock and roll beds that can be used to seat people while driving? Will a purpose built rock and roll not suffice if you're not going to have people in the back when driving?

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi all, havent been on here in a while. Just a question on the seats in the rear for the purpose of converting to camper.. does this mean proper RIB and Reimo rock and roll beds that can be used to seat people while driving? Will a purpose built rock and roll not suffice if you're not going to have people in the back when driving?
I don't know about the RIB ones, but the Reimo Variotech bench is fully crash-tested and fitted with seat-belts, so can be used, yes.

/M

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't know about the RIB ones, but the Reimo Variotech bench is fully crash-tested and fitted with seat-belts, so can be used, yes.

/M
So it has to be a crash tested seat belted model then to pass the test? Something like the canons forge ones wont do?

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
So it has to be a crash tested seat belted model then to pass the test? Something like the canons forge ones wont do?
I can't tell you what the regulation is over here. I can tell you, it has to have an ABE / EU cert on the continent. And honestly, would you really want to risk to stick your kids on a bench, even though seat-beltet, without having a clue, how that fares in a crash ?

My recommendation is to go with something, that has been tested to that particular purpose. Better be safe than sorry.

/M

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can't tell you what the regulation is over here. I can tell you, it has to have an ABE / EU cert on the continent. And honestly, would you really want to risk to stick your kids on a bench, even though seat-beltet, without having a clue, how that fares in a crash ?

My recommendation is to go with something, that has been tested to that particular purpose. Better be safe than sorry.

/M
Dont have kids and wont be carrying anyone in the rear. Just want to convert a van to a camper for surf / climbing trips for two of us. The difference is the price of the seats. R&R bed for €400 or RIB/Remio for €2500.. Obviously if the R&R bench is ok, i'm going with that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts