VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the better option to convert to a camper/surf van? a caravelle or a plain t4 van?
im not after a full camper conversion with cupbords and stuff. i really just want a 5/6 seater bus that could also be slept in buy two people on a rnr bed.
a plain van needs more stuff but then would all the insultion and stuff be needed anyhow?
the caravelle will have all seats, trim, seat belts etc, but i guess would still need insulatiing to be warm.
also from a legal point of view, is the caravelle easier as its a passenger vehicle rather than a commercial?
so which seems like a better option? is the caravelle a much more expensive route?

·
Registered
504 Posts
caravelle youve got the 6 seats in the back,take the back 3 seats and put a rock and roll bed in,and you have a people carrier and a camper happy days!!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
lwb panelvan,double passenger seat n full width rock n roll bed.6 seater which can sleep 3 across bed,little un across front seats,n plenty of room with bed folded outT:
dayvan?i only stay in mine to sleep,or cook a quick meal,dont see the point of the dayvan layout?my own view:*
cheaper than a velle,lot of people prefer the swb,but lwb only a foot longer,internally makes a lot of difference thoT:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If you can find one, a Caravelle multivan does it all already.

Had mine since new, it's fantastic. Full 7 seats for adults. Mid 2 seats face backwards to the rear 3 seat bench and has a table that folds up from the offside wall. Fold that back down, and lift up rear faced seats, unclip the bench back rest and and slide the hole thing forward and drops down to meet a padded platform in the boot. A double bed that can sleep 3 across at a push. Comes with clip on Curtains all round. Like a wet dream on wheels...or do I have issues?

We use it as a bedroom annexe to the caravan when travelling mob handed. Best wheels I ever had and if they legislate over emissions on my wagon I say we start a revolution....sorry, just been on Transport for London site, so sad.

Good luck in finding what you want though!I:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting. I'm having the same dilemma. I did have my heart set on a velle as i like the idea of the higher spec such as EW. CL air con etc. Plus, i think the factory fitted trim panels in the rear look nicer.

Trouble is, they command such a high price....if you can find one at all!

Also, interesting to hear the comments about the multivan. I have a multivan interior ready to install.

Summers coming & i need to resolve this soon :*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts