VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have been looking for a good-looking option to put a ski box on top of my t6 camper van.
I've ended up using official t5-van roofrails and was able to bold them to the camper pop-top.

I now can use my normal thule bars and ski box and it looks cool i think.

All parts used from ebay.

An orignal t5 roof has slots where these rails fit in which make it stay in place. On a flat pop-top roof they need a more solid way to be fastened then the with the provided bolds.

I used a SWB roof rail although my van is a LWB.

I replaced the original 6mm bolds by 10mm that completely filled the hole in the rail to prevent the rail for being able to move on the bold. I drileld 10mm holes in the roof and used large plates on the inside.
The end of the rails are sloping and so is the inside bold position. I used washer with an angle to give the bolds a better fit. I have used available platsic ones (lets see if that works else i need to make metal alternatives)

I used a wooden roofing timber as a template. Drilled the wholes to make the rail fit and used it on the roof to exactly position the rail holes.

Hope you like it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bremer, Cracking job, I have been thinking of doing the same on mine but just a bit worried that the pop top roof gas struts won't take the weight of the bars + MT box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts