VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

i have changed the coolant in my T5 (BRS) and can't seem to bleed it, after every time it seems ok and the next day the header tank starts pishing out coolant and seems to have a bit to much pressure in it.

the head gasket was done less than 1500 miles ago and has been fine until i decided to change the coolant in it.

is a shuttle with the day heater and fan motor in the back so there is a lot of pipes .....

Does any one have any ideas??

so far i have tried everything i can think of and really hope the head hasn't went again.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
There's a ridiculous special tool that VW use to refill the coolant - I've always found parking it nose-up on a steep slope with the heater on full hot does the trick. If you don't have a steep slope, jack it up. Otherwise, keep topping it up, if there's no leaks, you'll fill it eventually.

Don't thrash it or let it run hot otherwise you might be doing some damage.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
The other thing to check is with the engine STONE COLD, make sure there is no pressure in the cooling system, (undo and then tighten the coolant reservoir cap), then start it up & let it tick over and monitor the pressure by squeezing the hoses. If the pressure gets up before the top hose gets hot then that could be head gasket.

Next step is a test for combustion products in the coolant, (you can get a kit).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts