VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.5 long nose TDI Velle, and on the back of the radiator fans are some louvres (?) that are connected to a sort thermostatic spring arrangement at the top of the rad. Presumably these are supposed to stay closed until the van gets up to temp, and then the thermostats allow them to open. Anyway, I was driving yesterday (fast country roads, no traffic) and whilst the tempt gauge sat around 90, when I got home the fans were on, and when I looked the vent things (whatever they're called!) they were still shut. I've manually turned them so they're both now fully open, but does anybody know how they're supposed to work, or should I just leave them open until winter time, or even remove them altogether?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,713 Posts
Many people remove them altogether.
Here in cold Norway, I've removed mine.

Over time, the wax in the crude thermostats stops working and/or the vanes get gritted up and stick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about just removing them, but then I guess VW put them in for a reason. Then on the other hand, they don't work, so I might just bin them 😁

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A fair point - jammed open they will stay! It was probably some VW thing to make them warm up quicker and so have a slightly better MPG as a sales point, before they got onto dodgy software :ROFLMAO:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts