VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

First post. Was wondering if you guys could help me out. I've had the engine light come on my t5. Been to the garage and I was told it was the brake switch and the coolant gauge. I've managed to replace the brake switch but can't for the life of me figure out where the coolant gauge is located.

Can anybody help me with this?

Just my look. Managed to have my wing mirror knocked off. Break my passenger window winder. Blow an air seal on my engine, and the above mentioned problems all in a week :( but I've fixed all bar the gauge now.

Thanks in advance.

Mat

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, yeah I meant the sensor.... have no idea why I called it the gauge.

Thanks thats perfect.

Where did you get hold of the schematics btw? and thanks for the welcome,.

·
Registered
14 Posts
alrighty there "pirate"... fellow cornish v-dubber :) , Im trying to the find the coolant temp sensor in my VW T5 1.9tdi 104bhp.. but ive looked at the image you have popped up on here and it dont look like a T5 engine bay?? am I wrong:* as im trying to find where the sensor is so i can change it, as ive just had a VAG com check on my van and the fella who did the test said my coolant temp sensor is not working right, as the temp guage on the dash board said it was on 90, but the vag com was reading a temp of 66... so this is why my van has been drinking way more fuel cos its sending a message to the ECU...brrrr its cold give us more fuel....feed me seamore... feed me that cheap fuel....not!....:D

so is the diagram for the T5 1.9?:confused: if so i best get diggin around my engine bay til i find it
cheers

jar:ILU:

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok v-dub folks, today I took the time to try and find the coolant temp sensor on my T5 1.9 TDI 104 Bhp 2004...
thanks to "priates" pics I used them to try find the buggar..

I took some pics of its location so other folks can find it more easliy :)

just be careful when you pull the "plastic cilp" out to relase the coolant sensor as you must pull gently downwards, otherwise these plastic clips snap!!! I would know I snapped mine today..I:. had to go the stealers to get a new one..:(. so if you go careful you will be able to use it againA:

hope this helps someone out there...?

jar:ILU:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
brilliant help that... Useful to note you need some crazy flexible arms to get in. Also be ready for the coolant when you pull out the sensor.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sensor is fine the most part but will suddenly drop to zero, then come back up again... Is it possible I've changed the wrong one? :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I know this may be a little outdated but I wanted to know if the sensor for a 2006 T5 1.9 Petrol SWB was in the same location?

BTW I can see any of the pics associated with this thread.

My T5 starts fine, but in the colder weather it takes about 10 mins of driving for the Gauge to reach the 90 deg mark.

When put through a diagnostic (at the garage) the computer brings up a temp warning issue and the garage suggested a sensor fault, the van seems to drive fine. I'm selling this vehicle so I wanted to know if this was an easy fix or a software issue etc? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
same here could really do with seeing the pics, noticed poor mpg last couple of weeks so plugged in my reader which stated a 16502 code with a p0118 so I'm guessing could be just a bad connection but no idea of location of the sensor:*

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi fellas,

Any luck getting hold of the temp sensor location? My gauge starts to go up initially then just falls all the way back down again.

Cheers

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes mate from the front of the van put your right hand down the back of the head (right side) with a light you can see the wire going to it (Make sure you release the water cap first to release pressure). I bent a little hook shape into a coat hanger to pull up the plastic clip, then just pull out the sensor, make sure the o ring has come with it, reinstalling is fairly easy just a bit fiddly.

You may as well change the thermostat as well. I didn't and now have to empty again to change this due to now not reaching 90 (ie thermostat stuck open) :bhd

1 - 20 of 31 Posts