VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just spent a packet on my 1997 t4 1.9td transporter after first the water pump failed then the head gasket did the same.. ouch! Got both replaced now plus timing belt for good measure. The day after I got it back the temperature light came on and I took it back to be told it was a 'settling down' issue, they topped up coolant levels and its been fine for a week. Now, although it seems to be running fine (temp where it should be and no temp light blinking at me), I hear a low hum from under the bonnet after I turn off the ignition, even after a short journey, which I'm assuming is a fan and this continues for anything up to 5 mins then stops. Checked coolant level myself this evening - about half a centimetre over minimum. Anything to worry about?

·
Registered
353 Posts
It normal mate. the auxiliary pump continues until the engine reaches a certain temperature.
Its located in the hose that runs under the radiator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, cheers. So after I turn the ignition off, the auxiliary pump carries on to do what .. cool down the engine?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,398 Posts
Certain parts of the engine get hotter than others....so the pump keeps coolant flowing to prevent these "hot spots".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts