VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the T4 world, and i'm willing to learn everything that I need to maintain my new (19 year old) T4 panel van.

I picked up a 1998 1.9TD Panel van yesterday. Drove 250 miles after picking it up with no issues. 5 minutes from home the coolant light started flashing. I waited for it to cool down and topped up the tank with coolant.I have looked again today and have found a drip coming from the spindle(?) that pumps the water around the engine. Other than leak stop, what do i need to replace to stop this from happening?

Pics will follow if it helps?:*

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
New water pump, the shaft seals are failing, if its gone that far its extremely hard to believe the seller didnt know about it btw.

Hopefully it hasnt had knock on effects, like repeated overheating killing the head gasket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just ordered the new pump. Luckily the van doesn't need to go anywhere, so I'm going to put some radweld in tonight and await the arrival of the water pump!

Thanks for your help @mindriot.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I once bought a passat at auction, it quickly started dong the same as in dropping coolant and overheating, initially thinking it was head gasket I put in some of the usual rubbish that rarely works, all it did was leave a stain that proved it was the pump shaft leaking. I then changed the pump, to discover that I really did also have a failing head gasket.

I assume you checked the leak wasnt coming from anywhere else?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes ive had a look to check as thoroughly as i can. I'm going to hold off on the radweld as I'm pretty sure it's just a busted water pump.

Luckily, the engine bay is filthy so any leaks are obvious because they leave clean patches!!

Also, the loud squeal that happens for 10 seconds on starting the engine is water pump related as well I believe?

Probably needs a rad flush while I'm at it, so this weekend will just be a coolant weekend!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
All of those potions are a waste of money for heads etc, rarely work on high compression tdi and can cause more harm than good. Could be knackered bearings on the pump if waters passed the seal, if youve matched the noise to the pump it would be wise to do asap as theres a risk of problems or even jamming if it is the bearing.

Probably best to change the aux belt etc if thats how its driven, dont know some of the T4 engines very well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had considered doing aux belt at the same time to be honest, so i'll take your advice on board.

i'll post pictures once its done next week. Thanks for your advice Mindriot!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
No worries, as always though trying to help on a forum is a view from afar, i might be wrong or it might me something less obvious, take it under advisement so to speak and good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just changed the water pump and our problem has stopped!

Did a full rad flush and oil change while I was down there, and it's like I'm driving a different van!!

Cheers for any advice.

:ILU:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts