VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a '03 T4 with 190k miles in really good condition (no oil drinking or smoking)

Just recently had the water temp warning light on - pulled over, header tank is low - topped up with coolant mix (carry spare and oil)

Did 150 miles that day with no light back on. Left for a week, driving 20 mins same issue.

Not sure if coolant escaping when running or standing?

Oh, had slight "fan belt" screeching, very slight on tickover for a month or more.

He only gets used once a week/fortnight.

Wondering about various causes - thought best to post for your wisdom.

Hoping someone had similar.

Kindly, Duke

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,368 Posts
When were the belts/waterpump last changed?
Should be every 4 years or 50,000 miles....whichever comes 1st.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Could be a hose, the metal hose manifold they have, the radiator, water pump , thermostat housing, coolant sensor housing or heater matrix.
You can purchase a uv dye kit which you put in the coolant, it comes with a uv light so you can search easier for leaks.
You will need to take the tray off to check properly.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Could be a hose, the metal hose manifold they have, the radiator, water pump , thermostat housing, coolant sensor housing or heater matrix.
So basically you've just listed every part of the cooling system* - that's insightful & will be a great help in pinpointing the problem I:

OP:

Change the blue cap on the expansion bottle - the pressure release valve can open too early, common fault.

HH

* you forgot the aux pump.

·
Registered
568 Posts
So basically you've just listed every part of the cooling system* - that's insightful & will be a great help in pinpointing the problem I:

OP:

Change the blue cap on the expansion bottle - the pressure release valve can open too early, common fault.

HH

* you forgot the aux pump.
The op asked about the various causes so i listed them for him to go through with a solution to help find the cause,

but as you have a crystal ball and know it all i assume your first guess will be correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts