VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

coolant loss 2005 axd 2.5

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  bootscooter 
#1 ·
When I went to drive van last week after it being laid up for 2 weeks the lo coolant light came on - checked and found coolant just below sensor in header tank - topped up with about half a pint and did about 20miles - all seemed ok.

Next morning checked and level dropped again - did not drive but left for a week - checked and level dropped even further - bottle almost empty.

So far no evidence of any emulsion / moisture in oil......no obvious leaks although some misting on radiator fan housing below power steering bottle.

No smoke / steam during strtup or running - seems to be running on all five and full of power........

After searching on forum candidate faults seem to be all about water pump and headgasket failure ......

Questions......

1 which side is the water pump - looks to me to probably be rhs - drivers side in UK / IRL.

2 - are there any known leak weak points e.g. a particular hose ,radiator? etc ?

3- how much of a pita is it to change water pump....

Van is 2005,.136,000 miles - not particularly well minded but not been abused - this is first problem I have had with van in 1 year and 1500 miles of ownership......apart from overboost engine power loss........

See less See more
#2 ·
Evening.

I'd say water pump.

Mine did the same (2004 2.5 AXD, 168k), no water on the floor, just used a lot within a short space of time whilst driving home.

The pump can suck it back into the engine, runs fine no steam, no mixing of oil in the head tank etc. etc. but would only do about 10-20 miles before the coolant light came on and it needed 1l of water in the tank.

The w/p is located on the o/s of the engine and unless your a confident mechanic is a sod to change.

Needs changing as the engine is just slowly filling itself with coolant/water.

Pete

#8 ·
Hi all - not got to van for a couple of weeks - moved it yesterday - coolant light on against immediately - this means it has lost 1 litre in two weeks while standing without engine running. Looked inside engine bay with lamp and think I can see a spray / telltail stain on the rear of engine bay on the passenger side of exhaust downpipe. Also on ground under van tell tale red coloured stain - feels sloppy to fingers and tastes slightly sweet .

Wondering if this adds to the suspicion re water pump or points towards some other leak ?

Once again - thanks in advance

#9 ·
Just had to do my water pump again after only 30k miles. Similar symptoms, lost water but no obvious signs anywhere. Eventually had some Mayo in the filler kneck. Last pump was non-genuine so fitted genuine this time, lesson learned. Not lost a drop of water now for two weeks. The shaft seal was no longer seated correctly on the pump that came out and the outer seals were degraded. Not a cheap job as the oil and filter is a lot of the cost. Get it done Asap as you don't want it sucking up the water that will be sat at bottom of sump under all the oil.

#11 ·
Toyota1968
Re: coolant loss 2005 axd 2.5
Hi all - not got to van for a couple of weeks - moved it yesterday - coolant light on against immediately - this means it has lost 1 litre in two weeks while standing without engine running. Looked inside engine bay with lamp and think I can see a spray / telltail stain on the rear of engine bay on the passenger side of exhaust downpipe. Also on ground under van tell tale red coloured stain - feels sloppy to fingers and tastes slightly sweet .

Wondering if this adds to the suspicion re water pump or points towards some other leak ?

Once again - thanks in advance
Have you checked the residual heat pump?

This is exactly what happened to mine - coolant dropping, even when parked up with engine off. That means a leak low down in the system somewhere which will draw air through the filler cap.

If you inspect the undertray below the passenger floor, you might see a red drip of coolant. Remove the undertray and see if you have a pump in there. My pump was completely toast and was loosing about 1/2litre per day, engine running or not.

I'll see if I can find a pic

#13 ·
Hi all - an update - mechanic changed water pump that he reported was leaking...... I had bought pump for him and wanted to change coolant and oil anyway......

Collected from him this afternoon - he told me there was a second weep from a valve under the passenger seat....... he thought it looked like and electrically controlled heater control valve - I am wondering if it is the residual heat pump you describe........

Will have a look myself tomorrow..... how much is a residual heat pump and what does it do ?

#14 ·
Right then ...... Been under the van and there is a little electric pump down there under the passenger seat....... It seems that there is a water pipe coming from the head area on the drivers side that eventually runs down to the little pump and the return then giesvback up to heater ........ Could anyone help with looking up the part number for this ?

T5 130 as reminder

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.