VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.9td.

I had the complete head replaced a few months ago (recon jobbie) and I've never lost any coolant as such, however, I've noticed that, when warm, the level is higher than the max line and, even when cold, there is still enough pressure in the system to blow coolant out when you undo the cap.........

The temp gauge sits happily in the middle, the fans now kick in as they should - so I'm kind of stuck as to whether it's an issue or not.

To be honest, I only noticed a few weeks ago and thought nothing of it first time round, as it only spat out a bit of fluid that was easily topped up, but is it worthy of taking back to the garage for a check out???

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Mines doing the same thing but the level drops away when warm because there is soooooooooo much pressure, mines head or headgasget for sure but i doubt yours has that problem.

You could have a blockage in the radiator or the coolant system somewhere or it could be something as simple as the header tank cap not releasing the pressure. I wouldnt worry about it too much bud.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
you might just have a bit of air in the cooling system .. I'm sure theres a little bleed valve on one of the pipes that goes through the bulk head to the heater matrix .. it should have a little cap with a cross on it .. try undoing the cap with the engine running and see if any bubbles come out , once you get just water coming out the system should be bled , you could try squeezing the radiator hoses too

worth a try

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
you might just have a bit of air in the cooling system .. I'm sure theres a little bleed valve on one of the pipes that goes through the bulk head to the heater matrix .. it should have a little cap with a cross on it .. try undoing the cap with the engine running and see if any bubbles come out , once you get just water coming out the system should be bled , you could try squeezing the radiator hoses too

worth a try
A worthy suggestion, make sure you have the heater on or the water wont circulate T:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well - I'm back from (not so bloody sunny) Cornwall and the van has been fine - although I've not had to / tried releasing the cap!! - will try bleeding the system tomorrow and see what gives.......

I don't reckon it's an issue, but I like things to be 'right'...... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts