VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hoping to get a bit of help - I have a 99 2.5tdi van. Before christmas the battery kept going flat on me. I put it down to a mixture of an old battery and the cold weather and not using it every day! Turns out I was wrong. Nice shiny new new battery and a few days later still the same problem! GRRRRRR

After some investigating I have established that it is the coolant recirculation pump that is at fault. Once the ignition is off the pump is on. It never switches off. Any ideas how I can go about fixing this? Is it a temperature sensor issue?

any clues would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any ideas folks - it's the small electric pump under the radiator. i believe that it switches on when the engine is off to keep the coolant circulating until it has cooled sufficiently.......and then it should switch off.

on mine it just keeps going and going and going - until the battery is too flat to start the van.

Anyone have this problem? or any ideas how to go about sourcing the issue - I'm guessing it's a sensor somewhere but have no idea where to start.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If I remember correctly on mine, there's a couple of sensors on the pipework going into the engine block between 1st and 2nd injectors. One of them is a 2 pin, the other a 4 pin. If you bridge the contacts on the two pin plug it should make your recirc pump kick in. So, if you disconnect this and the pump stops, it's probably the sensor needs replacing. Less than a tenner I think, but you'll likely lose some coolant during the switch.
Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts