VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there. My coolant light keeps coming on, early on in a drive and about 50% of the time. It sometimes turns off again if I'm on a longer drive. I have checked my water level and that's fine and I'm not loosing fluid.

My engine temperature guage only seems to work half the time as well.

Some times when I start the engine the dash takes a little while to wake up, the oil light comes on and the Rev counter does nothing, after about 5 seconds it sorts it's self out. This doesn't bother me so much but the coolant light flashing and the beeping is starting to annoy me. Are they connected? Any thoughts on what I can do to remedy it?

I'm new to this so please be gentle. Cheers.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not sure if the coolant reservoir has a float switch on it but if it has it maybe stuck in the wrong position?
The oil light is normal that it flashes On start up. 1.9tdi engine yeah? It's checking the system. It will then stay on if there is s problem.
On the temp side I'd check the temp by hand. If it's low temp wise maybe a star that's open or a coolant temp sensor in the system.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha. I fixed the warning light problem. Someone had done some very strange DIY wiring for the coolant level sensor which involved about 6 different bits of wire of various size and colour, twisted together and looped all over the engine bay. I pulled all that out and what was left of the original wiring actually reached each other so I soldered them back together and covered in shrink wrap and all is well. I have no idea why anyone would want to wire it up the way it was. Mental.

Temp guage is still not working right but someone suggested it might be that my thermostat is stuck open so I'll try putting a new one in and see if that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts