VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, this I my first post so apologies if it’s in the wrong place or has already been asked, have recently brought a 1994 1.9 non turbo and never heard the cooling fans kick in but today while I was stuck in traffic the temperature gauge went just above half way and then I heard a banging noise coming from the engine bay which I assumed was the fans switching on, I pulled over let the van cool down then carried on my journey but not heard the noise again. I’ve seen the post about bridging out the wires to test the fans which I was going to try at the weekend but just having a quick look tonight to make sure nothing from the engine was loose and noticed the fans have some sort of blades which are closed and wondered if this was normal or do they open when the fans operate, I will try and get some photos

Thanks in advance for any help

·
taking too long to build van2
1,386 Posts
1.9D fans rarely come on - the engine is solid are hard to get it hot enough to warrant the additional cooling unless your water pump fails! Only time mine ever came on was sitting at idle in traffic on a 25C day. and even at that they would only be triggerd for about 30seconds before going off again.

When thy do come on their arn't exactly quiet (especially if you are used to car fans.) Knocking... well it might be a fan baring, or more likely something as simple as an object stuck/binding against the fan housing. When the fans come on the housing rotates outwards to open them, might be a bit stiff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that makes sense as today was the first time I’ve been stuck in traffic. I replaced the water pump when I brought the van because the bearing in that was knackered so I know that’s good. How easy would it be to free off housing, can it be done with the fans in place or is it easier to remove them from the van

·
Registered
533 Posts
The fins on the back of the fan should open when the engine reaches normal operating temperature, they have their own mechanical stat that operates the mechanism, you can manipulate the mechanism to open the fins manually but that wont tell you if the stat is working, the idea of the fins is to allow the engine to reach normal temp faster, the actual fans should only kick in at a higher temp after the fins have opened.
You can test the fans work by bridging the pins in the plug on the radiator temp sensor.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,884 Posts
You should be able to see 2 large mechanisms that operate the vanes.
Poor boiling water on them and the vanes should open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for you help if I get time will try it at the weekend and let you know how I get on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks thread for the help on how to test the cooling fans by bridging the thermostat.

I've got to replace one of the fans which failed and caused the wiring loom to melt/burn out. Have sourced a replacement fan and loom (with relays) and replaced the 50A fuses as both had blown.

Question is that will one fan work on it's own or do both have to be working for the system to work? Currently the drivers side fan is disconnected.

Anything else that I should check like the resistor pack? Or any relays/other fuses. Any other advice?

By the by I'm also removing the instrument cluster to fix the fuel gauge and coolant temp gauge. Been broken for awhile now and this has motivated me to sort it out!

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,884 Posts
There's more than one system for the fans.

Some use 1 fan to start with, then both if needed.
Another wires the fans in series to start with, so both run at half power....then parallel for full power.
Then there was the resistor pack to control the speeds.

You need to determine which system you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today I finally got round to testing my cooling fans turns one of my fans bearings is non existent which was the cause of my noise and when I poured boiling water on the stat for the fins they didn’t open but when I disconnected them I could open then easily but I now have a couple more questions.

Firstly does anyone know the if the mechanical stat has another name or the part number as when I called my local parts place didn’t have a clue what I was talking about or is it something I have to go to the dealer for.

Secondly I noticed that both fuses were missing and that the previous owners have bypassed them and joined the wires directly I’m just wondering should both fuses be 50amps as I remember reading somewhere to use 30amp fuses instead

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
1995 2.4D Wax Stat part number is 701 121 183A. In mine the vanes on one fan had seized completely but when I removed both fans and the Stat, I tested the stat with boiling water. It operated about 5mm and then I freed it up some more. Carefull as you can easily break the 'prongs' I think. I did source a new one from lithunia but they were quite expensive.

I

I had one seized fan and the other the tripod holder had cracked and the vanes seized (see below for the mess!) I sourced a complete replacement radiator/fan pack (190EUR) so very happy and now in the process of rebuild. If you message me I can send you my old stat once I have the new pack up and running. Whilst the radiator is out I'm taking time to clean/survey the front end and currently also replace in the front bumper/headlight chassis plate.

I think 30A fuses are a good idea. My wiring loom burnt/melted completely on the seized side. Found another to replace it. (40GBP)

Anyone know what the resistor above the drivers side headlight does? It's riveted in so currently drilling it out to attach to the new plate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There's more than one system for the fans.

Some use 1 fan to start with, then both if needed.
Another wires the fans in series to start with, so both run at half power....then parallel for full power.
Then there was the resistor pack to control the speeds.

You need to determine which system you have.
Haven't yet found the resistor pack. Some references to "behind the passenger side headlight" RHD van. But Ive now also removed the front plate and the headlight and radiator looms and can't see it yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1995 2.4D Wax Stat part number is 701 121 183A. In mine the vanes on one fan had seized completely but when I removed both fans and the Stat, I tested the stat with boiling water. It operated about 5mm and then I freed it up some more. Carefull as you can easily break the 'prongs' I think. I did source a new one from lithunia but they were quite expensive.

View attachment 175028 I

I had one seized fan and the other the tripod holder had cracked and the vanes seized (see below for the mess!) I sourced a complete replacement radiator/fan pack (190EUR) so very happy and now in the process of rebuild. If you message me I can send you my old stat once I have the new pack up and running. Whilst the radiator is out I'm taking time to clean/survey the front end and currently also replace in the front bumper/headlight chassis plate.
View attachment 175031 View attachment 175032
I think 30A fuses are a good idea. My wiring loom burnt/melted completely on the seized side. Found another to replace it. (40GBP)

Anyone know what the resistor above the drivers side headlight does? It's riveted in so currently drilling it out to attach to the new plate.
Thanks for that my vans a 1994 1.9D so don’t know if there’s any difference but I’ll have a closer look to find the part number, with the fuses is there anything else powered by them because I’ve got four thick wires and two thin wires all tapped together at the moment

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for that my vans a 1994 1.9D so don’t know if there’s any difference but I’ll have a closer look to find the part number, with the fuses is there anything else powered by them because I’ve got four thick wires and two thin wires all tapped together at the moment

I think 2 thick wires go from the battery +ve post each to a single fuses (Presumably one for each fan) The other side for the fuse is the other 2 thick wires each with one smaller ones which go towards the relay pack next to it and rest of the system. Below is my old loom out the van if it helps. I don't have a good picture of the fuses in situ but as long as one of the wires from the fuses goes to each relay I don't think it matters which way round (top or bottom) they go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
And one from me. These 2 small relays are above and left of the battery on the bulkhead. On the right hand relay two of the wires have become disconnected (Visible bottom right). Anyone have any ideas what these relays are for so I might have some idea how to figure out which way round to reconnect them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
And one from me. These 2 small relays are above and left of the battery on the bulkhead. On the right hand relay two of the wires have become disconnected (Visible bottom right). Anyone have any ideas what these relays are for so I might have some idea how to figure out which way round to reconnect them?
View attachment 175035
The van had a major radiator wiring loom meltdown so I think in the drama these got disconnected or pulled by accident.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts