VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My cooling fans are not coming on....help needed.

I allow the temp gauge to reach 3/4 and still no sign of the fans kicking into life. I have checked no19 fuse (30A blade fuse) and the 2 fuse's behind the passenger head light (50A).

I have also replaced both temp senders, I'm sure there aren't any air locks. I did replace the water flange and senders.

Does anyone know where you can get the 50A metal (lead type fuse), mine have snapped but have soldiered them together for now, but fans still not working - bodge job or what :(

Also, what else could be the cause?

Many thanks,

Chalky

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all,

As mentioned above, I've been running the engine until 3/4 of the temp gauge. Should I let it run until the temp gauge is at the top? I have no warning lights on 3/4.

Also, I have no clicking from the fan relay, how can I check this to see if it works ok?

Chalky

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi All,

An update on progress....

Checked all fuses (again), checked fans, I think the relay is OK, getting a signal back from a multi-meter.

Started the engine today (for the first time) after checking all the above and the still fans are not coming on.

I did note that the temp rose really quick, within 5 - 10 mins at idle the temp was 1/2 and moving towards 3/4. Also the top hose was warm/hot whilst the bottom hose was cold.
Internal heater is fine, blowing hot or cold air when required. It's the engine/cooling fans not working.

Any ideas, could it be the water pump faulty, hot and cold pipes top and bottom not pushing water around the engine and rad which in turns does not turn the fans on??:confused::confused:

Any suggestions please????:(:(

Chalky

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Hi All,

An update on progress....

Checked all fuses (again), checked fans, I think the relay is OK, getting a signal back from a multi-meter.

Started the engine today (for the first time) after checking all the above and the still fans are not coming on.

I did note that the temp rose really quick, within 5 - 10 mins at idle the temp was 1/2 and moving towards 3/4. Also the top hose was warm/hot whilst the bottom hose was cold.
Internal heater is fine, blowing hot or cold air when required. It's the engine/cooling fans not working.

Any ideas, could it be the water pump faulty, hot and cold pipes top and bottom not pushing water around the engine and rad which in turns does not turn the fans on??:confused::confused:

Any suggestions please????:(:(

Chalky
Could be your water pump but as it's a petrol it should warm up a lot quicker than a diesel.

I'd check your Thermostat first.

Also have you bridged the wires on the fan switch to see if they work when bypassed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Just checked the thermostat (via jug and kettle), which opens and closes, but will buy a new one as its out.

Also have you bridged the wires on the fan switch to see if they work when bypassed.
I have wired the fans directly to the battery which worked fine, which could only mean that the relay is faulty I guess??

Does anyone know where I can get one from, don't really want to get a second hand one unless its cheap ;) , I tried GSF yesterday and they said no but recommended TSP.

Many thanks,

Chalky

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,

Had a thought about the Thermo switch on the rad, whats your thoughts?

Also, whilst I was at GSF the other day I brought a new Temp Sender, 4 pin, but Green with a nipple on it, my old one was Blue and had no nipple. Has any one replaced their Temp Sender and noticed a difference in shape and colour?

Many thanks

Chalky

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Hi,

Just checked the thermostat (via jug and kettle), which opens and closes, but will buy a new one as its out.

I have wired the fans directly to the battery which worked fine, which could only mean that the relay is faulty I guess??

Does anyone know where I can get one from, don't really want to get a second hand one unless its cheap ;) , I tried GSF yesterday and they said no but recommended TSP.

Many thanks,

Chalky
I think they mean "TPS" - If you haven't got air con then you might not have a cooling fan relay. sometimes its all done with the thermo switch.

Whip it out - sometimes they are just gunged up.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All,

Just replaced the thermostat (£12.50 from local motor factor) as I removed it after I noticed the bottom pipe from rad is cold (and still is) whilst the top pipe is hot.

Now, the only bits could be affecting this could be the:

Water Pump??
or
Thermo Switch (on rad - which has been taken out and cleaned)
or
Fan Module Relay (black box left of strip fuses in engine bay).
or
could it be something else???

I think pressure is building up on the bottom pipe or water is not moving around the engine as the thermostat is not opening???:confused::confused::confused:

Please help us.....losing patients!!

Chalky

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

I got my fans working today....A:A::D:D. As mentioned before when I brought a new temp sender from GSF I noticed that the new part was green and had a nipple on it (but GSF said it would be fine :confused::confused:), hence why the Velle was warming up quicker than normal, and the thermo switch (on rad) was not reaching the temp required to the fans on. Any way, I thought that I might just put the old one in (no nipple and blue), re-filled with water and coolant, started Velle and 20-25 mins later @ idle the fans kicked in H: and the temp was normal and not gauge was as per it should be H:H: .

So, what have I learnt: check fuses (2 areas - dashboard and strip fuses in engine bay L/H near main light), check dash board circuit (top right area are not cracked) and ensure if you change the temp sender (on water flange) get the correct part if not fit the old one if not faulty.

Chalky

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Chalky,

I have just swapped engines in my 94 2.5 petrol and I am having this issue (Heating up quick, fans not coming on, etc). Forgive my ignorance but reading your post I am not entirely sure what you did to remedy the situation? I know some time has passed (!) since you did this but on the off chance you get this i thought I'd ask. The fans work when jumped by shorting the switch so it's not that. The thermostat is new.

Cheers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the fans work correctly when shorting the switch (both speeds) then either the switch is faulty or it’s not getting hot enough. Sure it’s in coolant and the coolant is circulating properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,877 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ As above....
If they work by bridging the switch.....that points to the problem.

Heating up quickly could point to air pockets in the cooling system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the replies,

Turns out it was both simpler and more complex. Having just swapped the engines I had not thought to swap the temp senders too. Upon removal of both sets and testing sure enough they had slightly different resistance values in the same temp water. So, old senders now in new engine and the problem is fixed!

Reading these posts helped me figure it out so thanks to anyone who can be d to let us all know what they have done!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,877 Posts
Sorry, I didn't realise 'ar**d' was a naughty word.

Lots of "common" words get marked as "naughty".
Sometimes, even in the middle of a larger word, they will get cut out....making the whole word nonsensical ! :confused:
Try telling someone you've been to Shorpe. (Sc*nthorpe!!!!)

Nice to get a reply back with the fix though. T:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts