VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my van for over a year ive not had the cooling fans come on :confused: never bothered me as temp is spot on always in the middle when warm, but working on the van a few days ago with engine running on tick over for 30-40mins on a hot day after a 20 min drive with temp in middle surely the one of the fans should come on :eek:
Is it the plug midway down the left of the rad looking from the top? can it be tested or just buy a new one of fleebay?

It will work ok one day LOL:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The fans are fused.
You will find the fuses behind the passenger headlight in a small plastic box. They look like two strips of metal.
But TBH, if your temp gauge never moves from half way, they may have never had a reason to come on. These engine are pretty heat efficient.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My fans have never come on since I've owned the van so I double checked mine do actually work the other day.

If you unplug that sensor half way down the rad, you'll see the connector has 3 pins. If you get a bit of wire (or a paper clip) and bridge 2 of these pins you can test the fans. Obviously there are three combinations to try, so you should get either:

1. Nothing
2. Fans run at slow speed.
3. Fans run at full speed.

If you get nothing whichever way you bridge the pins then you need to do some fault finding (probably fuses).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the advice, i will try all out tomorrow and post the result A: when it comes to my business of furniture im ok, i know the right vans to buy VW or MERCEDES, when it comes to fixing them :bhd

Cheers
Nomad

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
hi what age is the van . only if its pre 96 its got a fuse box in engine bay at back of passenger headlamp it has two small strip fuses 80p from auto shop each try them first. easy fix

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now sorted cheers, the wire across the connectors worked with a slow speed for both fans and fast for both fans T: cant think why id not thought on doing the obvious LOL:
Buying a new sensor just to make sure all is ok

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm getting the fans running when I bridge these pins. will a new sensor solve the problem of the fans not starting up? As I keep boiling water

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm getting the fans running when I bridge these pins. will a new sensor solve the problem of the fans not starting up? As I keep boiling water
Late to the party but....
My fans (1995 LHD 2.4 diesel Transporter) are not running, or at least they never kick in.
did a new sensor get yours working?
if so, (and if you installed that new sensor yourself) where was it located? (I can't find mine)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
For 8 years I had a 1995 2.4D and the heat only went up if I was manoeuvring with a trailer on a hot day.

The fans never kicked in and if the needle moved I put the heater blower and slider on full till the gauge went down, (less than thirty seconds).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts