1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

As U know, the Golf VI, among others, has cornering lights
I think this does look very cool :cool:
Has anybody looked into retro-fitting such an arrangement into a van or another car for that matter where it is not original?
I have seen it done, but have not been able (had the time) to go indepth on the matter I:
Any thoughts welcome T:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Allright :wzd

It appears HELLA made two separate moduls in the late 2000`s
The DynaView & the Dynabeam

I have also located a module that would dip into indicator-signals & use them to trikker a module in turn lightening up fog lights
Has a dimmer, pace-car-functions & alot of other goodies :D

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

As I am at times a tight, I am more likely to build something similar myself LOL:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sounds interesting mate. I've not heard of it myself.

My next little T4 enhancement is going to be 'rain puddle lighting'. I'm going to mount some form of light in the bottom edge of my door skin that comes on when the door is opened, lighting up the ground beneath the door. Hopefully this will stop me from treading in any more puddles in my nice white trainers ever again! After all, I live in the UK, so puddles are a constant problem. LOL:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh, YesT:

I absolutely fancy that function on my old Range Rover:D:D
Red beams in the rear of the door & white beams lightening the ground. Very posh
Make sure U hook it up to U`r central locking & combine it with the "comming home / leaving car" module :cool:

My Ex had lit doorhandled in her BMW 1-series, U may want to incorporate that too;)

What I WOULD like to have is a module that would be steering activated at lower speeds (Golf VI below 80km/H) independent of the indicator... How do I go on about that??:confused:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Coming home module?

Was also thinking about fogs with pathway lights. ie when you lock the van the fogs switch on for 30 seconds to light the driveway up for you to enter the house. T:

Not sure how you'd have moving lights though. I know that many of the Mercedes have them fitted too.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Off Target

Comming Home mode is another fine thing :)

I really had expected more enthusiasm about the cornering light (fogs comming on as U turn a corner) & possible solutions
Am I completely off target with this feature:*:*

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Re: Off Target

I really had expected more enthusiasm about the cornering light
I see where you are coming from, but thats a lot of work just to get your lights to swivel side to side.
If its any help, the original Citroen DS was one of the first to use a cornering light system. No fancy electrics, just a linkage connecte from the wheel to the rotating light bezel. Purely mechanical, but obviously it operates all of the time.

For me, the abhorrent cost of light units, either original or aftermarket is putting me off. I just want them to light the road up. I will be saving my pennies to finish my climatronic retrofit, and make my interior all leathery and alacantray!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I find them really distracting on other cars when I'm driving - they flash on & off at roundabouts! - and can't see any point in them. If I owned a car new enough to have them I'd remove the fuse. As pointless & irritating as DLRs... :*

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First one to have it was back in the year 1918, the car was a Cadillac Type 57 :)

For 1. see it as a safety feature.
I am not looking to crawl "over the top" & actually make the headlight turn.
I have sourced a module that will take the turn signal (indicator) & use this to light the fogs. At abt 100Eu... I was thinking I could solder up that myself. I would want one to operate as on the Golf VI, based upon the wheel position.
If I have been unclear on this, I hope to have cleared it now

Yes, I realise it may not be everyones taste, however seen all the other gadgets peeps add, I thought I`d bring along a "new" idea :*

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I find them really distracting on other cars when I'm driving - they flash on & off at roundabouts! - and can't see any point in them. If I owned a car new enough to have them I'd remove the fuse. As pointless & irritating as DLRs... :*
Hi
why do you find DRLs pointless surely a light on is only going to aid your visability to other road users
these days with some of the muppets that drive on our roads we need all the help we can get to be seen T:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you DiscoDave, but not what I am after.
I need to pick up a signal from the steering coloumn (somehow) that will trigger a relay to light the fogs.
As far as I understand the link, this allready does what I "have"! I never meant for the fogs flash along with the indicator signal.
They shall stay lit for duration of time the indicator flashes & dim down when the indicator cuts out. I have all this lined up
I just want the control signal to come from the steering coloumn / wheel position, & not dip into the indicator control circute T:

Sounds awfully "over the top", but HEY, easy we all can do :ILU:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi
why do you find DRLs pointless surely a light on is only going to aid your visability to other road users
these days with some of the muppets that drive on our roads we need all the help we can get to be seen T:
Without wishing to hijack a thread...the "DRLs help us be seen" argument is nonsense. That would mean driving around with a lighthouse lamp strapped to the bonnet would be the ultimate in safety. People don't pull out in front of cars, especially big vans like ours, because they can't see them - it's because they don't want to wait/get stuck behind them. DRLs dazzle, distract, make LED manufacturers rich and, when every car on the road has them, will make driving like negotiating a Christmas lights display at B&Q. If you can't see a car in broad daylight unless it's got DRLs on then you shouldn't be on the road.

Back to pointless & distracting cornering lights now. Sorry, where were we?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thank you DiscoDave, but not what I am after.
I need to pick up a signal from the steering coloumn (somehow) that will trigger a relay to light the fogs.
As far as I understand the link, this allready does what I "have"! I never meant for the fogs flash along with the indicator signal.
They shall stay lit for duration of time the indicator flashes & dim down when the indicator cuts out. I have all this lined up
I just want the control signal to come from the steering coloumn / wheel position, & not dip into the indicator control circute T:

Sounds awfully "over the top", but HEY, easy we all can do :ILU:
That is what that circuit DiscoDave posted up does.

It takes the pulsed output to a flashing indicator bulb and turns it into a constant 12v output all the time the indicator is flashing. Therefore this output would then go to your fogs to light them.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Recap; Cornering Lights

I do realize that, however I never intended to dip into the pulsing circute to draw my signal. I would draw that from the the steering coloumn. I never asked for a flashing fog :eek:

So just to recap; I want the fogs to come on when the (steering) wheel turns as on the Golf VI
Never mind the indicator for now :ILU:
How could I sibly draw this signal? I am not worried abt the above/below 80km/h thing as in the Golf.

@Fool; I think we know U`r stand by now. Lets agree that I want this mod & U fancy dark lights, OK? ;)

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Surely the easiest place would be from the back of the base to the flasher relay unit wouldn't it?
I think what Jefe is saying is he wants it to come on when he turns the steering wheel fella. If you drove through a dark area, on the hills, you'd have to put your indicator on every time you wanted to see a little more round the corner :)

Let us know how you get on Jefe T:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts