VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just move jobs to Switzerland, and was considering bringing my converted van over.

However the more I read about it the more expensive it looks to be and the more confused I get!

Has anyone exported/imported their van from UK to Switzerland? Any ideas on how much it would actually cost?

I've got a 2001 reg (51 plate) T4 (2490kg) 2.5TDI.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The cost is not the problem, its getting it through the strict Swiss import MOT.

A hint of corrosion and they usually fail it.

I love Switzerland, but the cost of everything there is astonishing, and the love of fines. Between me and the missus we reckon we are spending near a grand on swiss fines every year!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, looks like I might take it over for a year then bring it back and sell it.

It's got a few bits of rust coming through around the wheel arches, so they'd probably fail it :( I assume there's no formal list of the checks they do? Or does the list cost 100Fr...

On the plus side I can think about getting a new(er) van T:

·
Registered
11,710 Posts
in that case while there pop into a testing garage and ask them about getting it tested and registered.

that is what I did with my Suzuki when i brought into germany. they tested it and printed out all the bits that were needed for the german VOSA so they could do the registration. one thing I was not expecting on registration they had to fax Sweden to check that the car was clear of anything thing. then we went ahead and registered it.

if the start laughing when you start then you know you will be selling it in the UK.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You're problem could be with insurance though.

Most UK policies only cover you up to so many days per year abroad. Depends on whether there is a Swiss insurance company that would insure you on a van with UK plates.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Happy to be proved wrong but -

As I understand it the grace period for visiting within Europe is only 6 months in any given year, and the sense of that is 'visitor' - the moment you become resident it ceases.

Certainly within the UK, for visitors from Europe its only 6 months and has a 'residency' clause. The moment you become 'resident' here you have to register it, MOT it and tax it here, no question.

Here's the appropriate page on DVLA https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

I believe that is pretty consistent across Europe.

Im also well aware lots of people flout this! I had to look into this last year when a member of staff was on his fourth(!) year of driving his italian LHD fiat Marea on italian plates here, no mot, no tax, he was adamant that he had insurance but couldn't show evidence at all.. (we had a policy that barred staff from bringing untaxed vehicles into our carpark, after an unpleasant incident with an uninsured driver). He argued that he couldnt tax it cos he couldnt mot it, had tried but it failed on too much, not just the headlights and speedo issues etc and that had been three years previously.. :*

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
My Mum lives in Portugal, shes been there a year now, she took her new car with her, and has a British insurance certificate which she got via a broker in Portugal and it stipulated she was there for upto a year, but it was enough to therefore be able to tax the car within England and I sent her the disk..!

Though thinking about it her mot must have ran out now. Im going to ask her what she plans on doing now! I know she doesn't get local speeding/parking tickets I: I think she is supposed to bring it back now after the year. I said lets re-register it lol

I think Bascule's points are right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just done the oppersite brought one of our VR6 LWB caravelles over to uk it's a 1999 with 92,000 Klm on the clock,
I want to register it hear in uk,
You have their version of our mot but it's very strict all the engine and underside do the vehicle has to be cleaned if not they will refuse to test ?
They don't like anything that's getting to old or rusty
Your better off keeping it on uk plates and just come back for mot and tax
You would also have to change headlight beam to other side and rear fog light to left hand side rear

·
Registered
503 Posts
I live in Chamonix France, and I keep my T4 on uk plates - once a year it goes home , gets and MOT and tax - as a camper van with a 12 month European cover I just need to spend less than 3 months continuously in one country to obey the rules. 25 min drive to Switzerland or Italy easily solves that one.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Not sure if it will help you but found this on t'net:-
www.swissinfo.ch/eng/specials/switzerland_how_to/daily_life/Driving.html?cid=29180148
There's a link to importing lower down page and you can download the appropriate form 18.44 doesn't look too onerous at first sight, just need Driving Licence and proof of ownership/purchase of the vehicle. The test may be another matter as mentioned in other posts! Seems you will need a Swiss Driving Licence after a year also!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts