VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Looking for a bit of wisdom here (or blatant "just do it").

Have had our basic T5.1 for around 6 months now and the more I look the more I want to do to it.

I started with a clear vision of what I wanted the finished van to be, day van capable of overnighting/weekending and the ability to use as a general van when required, so nothing fancy inside but a good looking van from the exterior.

So we started with a basic 102ps panel van in highline spec, the inside had been insulated and lined, second row of seats fitted with rear tailgate spoiler and chrome side bars and a nearside limo tint window fitted, so a very good start overall.

Now to the question, since owning we have replaced the nearside limo tint window to match a new offside window and added a rear tailgate window, this was all FOC thanks to an amazing offer by VGC glass and glazing and the amazing Van-Doc of this here parish but would have been an extra cost without this deal.

We purchased a genuine sportline splitter, bumper DRL's, (which are just being painted and fitted), a set of 20' alloys and tyres, and a new Kenwood double din dab stereo. (so £2.5k)

Im left with lowering, single passenger seat conversion (leather retrim) and engine remap.

Adding all of the accessories we have already bought to the original purchace price of the van we are now in new teritory with vehicle value, or are we?

Looking at what may have already been out there it seems to us that whatever we do now will not increase the value at the same rate as the predicted cost of doing the last few mods.
If everything we have done had cost from the start, ie glass, lining, side bars, roof spoiler etc were added to the cost then we would already be looking at taking a loss on resale, however at the moment we are looking at a simmilar value to what it has cost so far.

Im sure I wouldn't be alone with this hence the optimistic asking prices, but having been an owner for 6 months I can at least now appreciate the reasons.

So do I hold back or just do it and take the hit on resale, in reality does everyone eventually spend way to much after a while? :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Did you buy the van to make money on a resale or to have good times and happy memories?

Just do it... can't put a price on happy memories! T:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you buy the van to make money on a resale or to have good times and happy memories?

Just do it... can't put a price on happy memories! T:
Defo not to make money, bought as a daily to replace an ageing A4 cab, probably didn't really understand prices when looking as I couldn't really see the mods adding thousands to the basic price, happy to admit it was my mistake for not doing enough research.:(

Loving the new van, so would like to make it 'my own' now, just wondered if there is a point at which economically it would have been better to buy a more modded van to start but I guess it would have still required a certain amount of custom finishing.

At least I know it's been done right and with genuine (and new) components, so I guess the answer would be to buy the bits I want and remove and reinstate the originals if needed ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Nothing can match that feeling that you get as you walk towards your van and take it all in, everything that you did to it and how pleased you are with it. My two pennorth :- remap !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts