VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought a makita drill back in November. Yesterday I noticed it had no go in it so took it back this evening. Bloke said no problem and said he give me cash. Told him I just wanted exchange as I needed it for work. He insisted on giving me cash and asked me to go in store and just purchase again, so thought ok. That was untill he said they had gone up in price £23 from when I purchased:eek:
My reply was oh no I don't think so. You replace like for like at same cost. Apparently not is there policy after a argument with manager. I had no option other than to purchase at the new price as I needed it for tomorrow.

This can't be right can it. Surely they must replace like for like at the cost I paid originally. It's not the £23 but the principle of it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Interesting point in law

Taking a stab, it would be "not of merchantable quality" would have thought that replacement would be the right legal route, goodness knows.

In France when the cheap sheet chinese SDS drills I killed removing the render from the house, all three of them died.

I gave them the receipt showing the 3 year guarantee had not expired so they gave me a 100 percent refund on all 3 drills, unfortunatly they wern't doing cheap sheet SDS drills no more.

I had to buy wine with the refund and screwfix a proper Bosch drill when I got home.

Then i realized that screwfix cost more than French tool shops - but i was properly peaced by then so what the heck.

Rhys

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Brought a makita drill back in November. Yesterday I noticed it had no go in it so took it back this evening. Bloke said no problem and said he give me cash. Told him I just wanted exchange as I needed it for work. He insisted on giving me cash and asked me to go in store and just purchase again, so thought ok. That was untill he said they had gone up in price £23 from when I purchased:eek:
My reply was oh no I don't think so. You replace like for like at same cost. Apparently not is there policy after a argument with manager. I had no option other than to purchase at the new price as I needed it for tomorrow.

This can't be right can it. Surely they must replace like for like at the cost I paid originally. It's not the £23 but the principle of it.
we had the same kind of thing at costco,but what can you do,they ask no questions ,they just take stuff back,whether you have broke it,dont like it,had enough of it,thats why you pay for membership is what they told me.:):)

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
There's pros & cons on both policies here. I've got a customer who boasts of using Costco's policy to try stuff out before buying. He bought a laptop, used it for a few weeks took it back for a full refund before spending his money on a different laptop, tried it for a few weeks... You get the idea. Personally, I wouldn't do it and couldn't be 4rsed with the faffing around.

If they had a like for like policy, idiots like him would have to make their mind up & Costco would be a lot better off. Unfortunately, you're paying for people like him. The other way to look at it, is "If you can't beat em, join em". Keep an eye on prices & trade your old tools in for new every now & then. Quality tools like Makita should last, but getting a refund & buying new every year might mean you get a lifetime of upgrades for a few quid a year.

All the best, Al.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts