VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first time me doing this kind of engine work, thankfully with my old mans help who was a mechanic in the 70's/80's, but im loving learning.

Ok the vehicle, 1992 2.4d AAB 5 cylinder 210k on the clock.

Problem, oil in expansion tank, rad, low oil in engine, last expansion tank exploded. I bought this van like this, so i got a very cheap van:D

It did start, run, and water light came on after 15miles, according to last owner. His mechanic reckoned head gasket, i agreed. Not sure now, as i have the head off, and the gasket looked ok, and no crack in the water jacket. But the water jacket holes are corroded, also there is cracking between the valves, which i believe is ok? But there is also on A few cylinders cracks going to the hole that supplys the fuel after the injectors and glow plugs ( sorry no pix phone died at the weekend) my dad reckons the head is probably too far gone, but we dont know what caused the problems so far...:*

Also i sheared a head off a waterpump bolt, the one thats tighter than the other two, and most is hanging out of the engine block, any ideas for safe removal? :*

How cool is it stripping a cylinder head, valves and liccle bits n springs n stuff ha!:cool:

Thanks Guys H:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Ok first time me doing this kind of engine work, thankfully with my old mans help who was a mechanic in the 70's/80's, but im loving learning.

Ok the vehicle, 1992 2.4d AAB 5 cylinder 210k on the clock.

Problem, oil in expansion tank, rad, low oil in engine, last expansion tank exploded. I bought this van like this, so i got a very cheap van:D

It did start, run, and water light came on after 15miles, according to last owner. His mechanic reckoned head gasket, i agreed. Not sure now, as i have the head off, and the gasket looked ok, and no crack in the water jacket. But the water jacket holes are corroded, also there is cracking between the valves, which i believe is ok? But there is also on A few cylinders cracks going to the hole that supplys the fuel after the injectors and glow plugs ( sorry no pix phone died at the weekend) my dad reckons the head is probably too far gone, but we dont know what caused the problems so far...:*

Also i sheared a head off a waterpump bolt, the one thats tighter than the other two, and most is hanging out of the engine block, any ideas for safe removal? :*

How cool is it stripping a cylinder head, valves and liccle bits n springs n stuff ha!:cool:

Thanks Guys H:
It's nice to see another member of the mucky fingernail brigade. T:
The first thing to try and get the sheared bolt out is penetrating oil followed by a blow gun and lots of heat.
What has happened is the bolt has oxidized and welded itself to the engine casting and you need to break that bond.
Once you have applied plenty of heat get a good set of mole grips and grab the stump as tight as you can physically lock the grips on.
Then using a hammer tap the grips lightly in the direction of rotation and it should break the bond. If not hit it harder. :D
Apply more heat if needed.
If the stump is long enough you may get two bolts put on it and use the inner one against the outer which is held in place.
As for you cylinder head it does sound like it is the problem mate, once the cracks have reached a machine edge it is pretty useless and will have expanded.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, and yes my IT fingers are well and truely ruined, black cack all under my nails, skin, ha

Ok i will give the nut idea a go as there is a good length left over, will also heat it up a bit, and yes wd40 ;)

The head, how annoying eh, no cracks have gone to the outer edge, but yeah inbetween valves and inbetween the hole from the injector. £300 for a new head on ebay, the van only cost a bit more than that, no way i wanna spend that..

·
Registered
817 Posts
There is a good chance the oil cooler may have a internal crack..... best place to start with that much oil in the system.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a good chance the oil cooler may have a internal crack..... best place to start with that much oil in the system.
I have an oil cooler ebay on watch for that reason as i have seen it mentioned a few times, £40 new along with a filter,,not sure it will fit yet, also how do i know for sure its the oil cooler or not?

Check it out on eBay!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts