VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have the interior lights set to come on when a door is open they stay on full time. I have cleaned the contacts on the switches in the doors, but still no joy. It's probably a simple fix but I'm not electrically minded (I don't really understand why the electricity doesnt pour out of a wall socket when the switch is on but nothing is plugged in!). Can anybody point me in the right direction please? I have noticed that the switches in sld and nearside pasenger door only have one cable attached each, while the drivers door has 2 - is this right?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
just on the off chance , do you have LED bulbs fitted or regular light bulbs ..

i noticed if i had all three led bulbs fitted at the same time they just stop on permanent like , but if i swap one of the LED's for a proper light bulb they go off when they should

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello there i'd start at the switch on the cab light first as it generally controls the positive feed to the rest of the lights, make sure its switching properly between the three positions.

As long as its operating correctly the next points to check would be the door switches as you said, make sure you check the tailgate/barn doors for switches too, give em a clean with a peice of sand paper or something and some white spirit incase they have grease or something on them. If you still hav'nt solved it you'll need a multimeter to test across the contacts to see if there making and breaking. Hope this helps and good luck T:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've just got standard bulbs in at the moment.

Will check the switch in main light next, and then it's going to be a lesson in using a multimeter to check the door switches. How hard can that be?:eek:

Thanks for advice

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
when you checked the connections at the door switches did you notice any damage to the wires? any loose connections?

there should be two wires at the drivers door - one for the lights and one for the headlight warning buzzer. all the others have one.

have you checked the tailgate/rear door switch?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The drivers door has the two wires, but I don't hear any buzzer when I leave the lights on - it's a 2000 lwb panel van so I didn't expect a warning buzzer fitted.

Also I haven't checked the rear (barn) door switches. again, I didn't realise they were fitted. I have looked but didn't see anything. Are they the same style as the other door switches?

Cheers for the help

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can pick up a cheapo multimeter for a tenner or just use a battery and a 12v bulb, basically a simple circuit, link across the contacts on the switch, with the switch open ( door closed position ) you should have nothing, then operate the switch ( door open ) and the multimeter should beep or the lamp should come on, simple enough buddy but just make sure what ever you do use makes a circuit first, or you can end up chasing your tail so to speak :D

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
it should have a warning buzzer, mines built and a 1997 chasis cab and has one, i think it's in relay 34?

any hows back door switch is a very small pin on the black catch at the top, you might be able to see if the wire on the back of it has come off and is touching earth that would make all the lights stay on

if you look to the very top of the picture you can just see the catch and the space to look in, if you can see what i mean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all advice. The problem was the back door switch right enuf. T:

I guess there should be a little bit of black pastic sticking out to meet door as it closes, but mine is flush - the plastic is flush with the door catch.

Thanks Discodave, I wouldn't have spotted that one. I now have working courtesy lights, will that make me a more courteous driver I wonder? Probably not!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts