VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a call from the garage who were repairing a slow puncture on one of my alloys (18" RS6 jobs)

They had some bad news, the alloy is infact cracked. Is this a new wheel job? If so how easy is it to pick up just 1 alloy, without a tire? Surely it'll cost a bomb!?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
If they're replicas you should have no problem finding one.
Try posting in the wanted section. Someone may have one kicking about T:

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, I'll keep my eyes on eBay then. Is it the sort of thing you can buy new though, or do you always have to buy a set?

I've been told there are places you can get them repaired, but sounds like it might cost just as much as getting it replaced

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only just got to see the damage last night. The crack is only small and on the inside edge of the rim.

It looks like its been weakened at some point when I've curbed the inside of the alloy.... no idea when its happened, but that's obviously gradually cracked and spread to the point where it can leak air.

To me it looks like the sort of thing you could repair, as at present its only a 10mm long crack about 1mm wide. Then the hairline spreads about 30mm round the alloy. SO GUTTED!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Interested to know if they're replicas or genuine??

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know for definate as they came with the van when I bought it, but I think they're replica's. Guessing they're not as good as the real thing then!?

I did take a massive hit about 6 months ago. Steamed straight into a pretty hefty speed bump at 30mph as it was unmarked and in the dark at the time. I checked for damage all over my van after that, but nothing appeared to have been affected. Its possible that this contributed to the weakening of the side wall, but to be honest I've got bigger scratches on my other wheels which should have caused the mental to fail before this small one on the inside of the rim.

Bit strange really.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hiya mate

im going through the same thing as u at the mo:(
i got some new tyres put on yesterday and had the bad news that the inside edge had cracked, mines about the same size, i thought it was just a slow punture! ive found that wheel base sell singles for about £90 mine are rs8 reps tho but proably about the same price for u hope this helps

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine arrived today only ordered it yesterday at 12ish from wheelbase £92 all in if thats any use:D

Think im going to make a claim though!! Does any body know do i have to take photos of the hole with a tape mesure showin how deep it is:confused:

If so i best do it soon before they fill it in!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts