VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm a bit p**d off today.
I have had a wheel off today and noticed a good "crack" in the inside edge of the rim (replica 18" RS8)
I've had one repaired due to going down a large pothole and bending the rim and taking a chunk out of the inside wall (new tyre required) and now have another that needs fixing or replacing.
I have 5 of these so was using the repaired one with new tyre for a spare but don't think I will be happy running a repaired one on the van all the time so what next?
Buy another (or 2) to replace it or time for a complete change?
I have a set of 4 17" TSW Venoms to do up and fit load rated tyres to but could really do without the expense at the moment.
Anyone got a couple of RS8's lurking about (without cracks) condition not really that important as mine have the usual worming under the laquer and will probably be painted if I keep them.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Nw that is a bast*rd!! Whats even worse is if I'd have seen this a week ago I had 3 of them, one cracked but other two OK, changed alloys now so I sent them off to the scrappy!! Sickener !!

I haven't posted this just to p*ss ya off, but has anyone else had problems with replica RS8's?

Hope someone comes along who can help you out mate.

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks anyway mate.
Mine may join yours soon then in the alloy recycle bin:eek:
unless ebay comes up trumps

·
Formerly known as boscombesurfer
1,315 Posts
Not just replica A8's that crack, i cracked some rather expensive 19'' on my audi a4, went all the way from inner bead to outer! was running 235/30's though two inches off the floor on H&R coilovers. With the correct suspension and low profile you can crack any wheels if you really try hard enough!!! Hope the new wheels look okay mate

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not just replica A8's that crack, i cracked some rather expensive 19'' on my audi a4, went all the way from inner bead to outer! was running 235/30's though two inches off the floor on H&R coilovers. With the correct suspension and low profile you can crack any wheels if you really try hard enough!!! Hope the new wheels look okay mate
Thanks for the positives. I feel a bit better about it now. May put the steelies back on for a bit until the new ones come back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,

I know just how you feel, i have just cracked a rep 18 RS8! :* council not repairing the roads.

Does anyone have a rough one knocking around? Tyre not important just need a straight alloy

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
A few weeks ago i cracked a 20" Ascari Cuervo:eek: Not exactlly the easiest thing to replace! rare as rocking horse :* Often wonder what i pay my tax for, pot holes round here go to the centre of the earth!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Been considering changing the standard alloys on T5 Caravelle, but when you look at all the problems with so called replicas and van ratings, I have decided just to have the slight damages from 3 kerbed rims repaired and then have them powder coated in Silver Fkae which is not standard finish but will look different.

Also when you look at the standrad rim at around £250.00 each, then at least I can say they are genuine and van rated.

·
Registered
639 Posts
oskins,

How much are you paying yo have your wheels sorted out ?
I have damaged one of my 8x18's on a BIG kirb (it just jumped out from no where) and think i might try and get it all sorted and the other 3 totally referbed.

Si

·
Registered
134 Posts
Depending on what I decide to do with my set of RS8's (one's been kerbed like yours), I may be selling them individually... I shall know soon...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Any one got any pics of these cracked wheels. My mate has one cracked but his are called an r8 in black 19" Is this a common problem.
Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dinged both of my front rims and gashed tyre wall on a sharp rock sticking out of a low wall. one going down the lane and the other returning. It's a bummer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts