VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a 1992 VW T4 with 2.0 petrol aac engine. The exhaust manifold is cracked and they are daft money. Anyone know where I might get a second hand one or if it is possible to weld/braze properly?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
291 Posts
A pro welder will have no problems welding it up pal. He'll probably want to heat the whole thing before attempting though. Depending where the crack is it may need machining flat again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that. I assume a welder would use special cast iron rods. Somebody did suggest brazing.. You heard anything about that?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,204 Posts
Brazing could be a problem, as the cast iron and brazing will expand at different rates.
Better to take it to an "expert" and see what they advise though.

I have a friend who had a boat manifold brazed, and has no problems after 12 years...but that was on a diesel, in a narrow boat, where the engine never revs over 2000 rpm.....so running MUCH cooler, and often at a fixed 1200 rpm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brazing could be a problem, as the cast iron and brazing will expand at different rates.
Better to take it to an "expert" and see what they advise though.

I have a friend who had a boat manifold brazed, and has no problems after 12 years...but that was on a diesel, in a narrow boat, where the engine never revs over 2000 rpm.....so running MUCH cooler, and often at a fixed 1200 rpm.
Thanks for that. Yeh, I agree. Easier said than done finding an expert here in France!!!! Also, I was just cleaning everything up this morning and found another crack!!! Think I am going to be better off looking for a decent used one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts