VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to strip down back of engine tomorrow to try to drill out snapped manifold stud.
I used soapy water to find exhaust leak after I noticed exhaust smells in cab while stationary!!
Noticed bubbles created at end of manifold and a missing stud. While I am hoping it is not a cracked manifold I do need to strip down the back of the engine so I can get enough access to drill with left hand thread drill bit to remove what is left in head. I will report back tomorrow on any progress but wondered if anyone can share me a link to a web page etc to show me best procedure to stripping ancillaries down etc. Would be helpful as I have only owned this transporter one and a half weeks and not done any work on it yet!
Thought this transporter ownership would be just a little bit easier lol

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went ok, took 3 hours to strip exhaust, engine bay pipes and ancillaries but was disappointed to have to remover the turbo too as it stopped the manifold from coming of over the studs. Anyways, an hour to drill and remove the sheared stud. Clean threads up and put in new stud New manifold gasket £15 genuine VAG too.
Took risk on applying a small amount of high temp gasket sealant on turbo to engine block gasket as didn't know I would need one. Will have to keep checking for oil leaks!
EGR valve was caked in crud so had a nice clean. All went back together including cleaning gasket faces and EGR in 3 hours. Not a bad days work.
Thanks to this link I found on the net
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/how-to-axd-manifold-and-turbo-removal_topic60735.html
it helped a bit but thought I might do my own updated version for the later T5. Would like to think it might help someone in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts