VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the Range Rover Sport 20x9.5 wheels with 275/40/20 tyres I won on Ebay for £530 inc. delivery. Opened up two and found them to be poorly refurbed, tyre worn to nothing on one side and one wheel cracked!

This was the description:
"Genuine Range Rover Sport 20 inch wheels New Tyres
Here are my old Range Rover Sport wheels.
These are genuine and come with the genuine center caps.
3 of the 4 wheels have kerb marks.
2 are quite slight and the other is a bit worse. These can be seen in the photos.
The other 1 is like new.
The tires are as new as well, done about 20 mile.

These are off a 2010 Sport and I know they will fit 2010-2013
I'm not sure if they will fit pre-face-lift but there's a 99% chance they will.
Each wheel comes with 4 wheel nuts. This is because I needed the locking wheel nuts
for the new wheels.

All in all, these are a very classy set of wheels and look very smart on the car.

Tyre size is 275/40R20"

I offered them up and it would've looked really good too.

Gutted!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Take it youre getting those sent back then? Loads and loads and loads of that design wheel knocking about on eBay so you'll get some more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, they will go back. I have requested a refund but haven't heard anything yet.
I'm really surprised how many cracked alloys there are out there. Has it always been like this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you please help with a dilemma:
The seller has offered £290 as a partial refund making the total cost £240 for the four wheels with tyres (6+mm mostly).

So I could replace the cracked one for approx. £200 and refurb all four wheels with any colour I like...

But two others are a little bit bent (is this bad or fairly normal?)

Do you think its worth taking the partial refund or just sending the whole lot back???
Any help would be appreciated. T:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
You can get the crack plug welded for around £40 as long as the wheels not buckled.......that leaves you with a good bit of cash leftover?I:

·
Registered
204 Posts
If they'll do a full refund, take it, from what you say "one cracked, two bent" and a seller who either deliberately miss advertised, or at very least didn't take any care to check the description matched the wheels. Basically, they've obviously had a hard life and if two have been refurbed, you don't know what other repairs are hidden under the powdercoat, my exsperience is on e wheels have been damaged and repaired once, they generally crack again at some point.

Anyway that's a long winded way to say, get rid and wait until some good ones come up, ideally still with their factory finish so you can truly judge the amount of abuse they've had!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Polar opposite responses! Arghhh!
TBH I wouldn't want to weld a wheel but may consider getting a buckle straightened if that's possible?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they'll do a full refund, take it, from what you say "one cracked, two bent" and a seller who either deliberately miss advertised, or at very least didn't take any care to check the description matched the wheels. Basically, they've obviously had a hard life and if two have been refurbed, you don't know what other repairs are hidden under the powdercoat, my exsperience is on e wheels have been damaged and repaired once, they generally crack again at some point.

Anyway that's a long winded way to say, get rid and wait until some good ones come up, ideally still with their factory finish so you can truly judge the amount of abuse they've had!
Thanks for taking the time. This is a very sensible answer, I was getting carried away with the low price and didn't consider the overall condition of the wheels. I will take them to Alloy Magic in Poole Monday to see what they say but I'm leaning towards a full refund.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
I went to Alloy Magic in Poole and asked him about the wheels. Nice bloke and looked like top quality work he was doing.
He said he could weld the wheel and it would hold. He didn't sound completely convincing and anyway I wouldn't trust a welded wheel with my kids lives.
To straighten buckles = £72 per wheel
To refurd complete (incl. buckle) = £102 per wheel
To buy a replacement wheel would be ~£200

So, the original cost £240 + new wheel £200 + 2 x buckles £144 = £588 for poorly refurbed wheels with part worn nexens.
Or, the original cost £240 + new wheel £200 + 4 full refurbs £408 = £848 for nice looking, previously buckled wheels.

So i'm doing the sensible thing and am getting them collected and getting a full refund.

Thanks for your help. T:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts