VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Bike and van
by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

After years of struggling with a small hatchback, I have finally bought a Transporter to carry my family and bikes about! It is a T5.1 SWB Kombi Highline 140ps and I am really pleased with it! My boys (aged 3 and 11 months) seem to like it too.

The main plans at the moment are to drive it - we have various adventures planned over the spring and summer, but still with space for some spontaneous trips too. It is insured as "standard" until October, so no mods until then, however there are still a few little jobs to do:
  • Sort out the Bluetooth media player - I test these things for a living and the VW one has me stumped, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and other times the option isn't even shown on the headunit (phone is shown as connected, including media player of cluster display).
  • Buy/build some under seat storage for the twin seat in the back.
  • Touch in a few stone chips/small scratches.
  • Correct the number of seats on the V5 - it says 6, but it is a 5 seater. I'm guessing it was most likely an admin error at the dealer that originally registered it (coincidentally my local VW dealer).
  • Floor mats for the front, I'm thinking rubber will be a better bet than carpet as I am using it for mountain biking.
  • Possibly fit a ground anchor in the boot to secure my bikes.
Not only is it my first van, it is my first diesel vehicle and the first front wheel drive vehicle I have owned for 15 years. However I am enjoying the elevated driving position and embracing taking a more chilled out attitude to driving - I still have my MR2 Roadster plaything to thrash around in when I am not transporting boys or bikes.

I'll keep this thread updated with any changes/fixes I make to the van, or maybe just post pictures of where I have been in it...

(For those wondering - the bike is a 2017 Orange Four)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing I need to do is understand what can be displayed on the instrument cluster screen - at the moment all I can get is setting for the phone connection. Should I be able to get trip information etc? I also have the secondary speed in km/h, i would like to change that to mph.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Looks good mate, it marks the start of an easier life (y)
Does it have a multi function steering wheel? If so you should be able to cycle through the trip display.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
That's why then, if you get a mfsw you'll be able to toggle through the trip display.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I thought the up/down arrows on the wiper stalk also cycled through the display?
Lovely colour van and lovely bike btw!
Welcome to a poorer way of living ? - especially when the modding begins!

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Thinking about it, I've not got the uppy downy buttons on my stalk so couldn't scroll, only available once I had the new wheel installed, thus making my previous comment about as useful as a chocolate tea pot ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had another in-laws/MTB trip today, back to Hicks Lodge, but with my lad this time. I parked the opposite way in the car park to get a front 3/4 shot, only on the iPhone this time though.

Van

My lad loved being able to get changed in the back of the van - he hasn't quite got the confidence to jump out on his own yet, but I doubt it will be long!

Hanging out in the back of the van

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One of the show's im doing this year is volksfest Wales in the Brecon beacons
Will be handy for the bike as well ? (y)
Sounds ideal! My work exhibit at a lot of VW shows, so will see if I can blag any tickets. I liked the sound of the one at Weston Super Mare, but the date clashes with a wedding I’ve got to go to.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts