VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Last year I surprised my mate and his family by turning up at their holiday caravan (I camped in my van), driving back one of the daughters wanted to come in the van with me so strapped her in her child seat and set off, she loved it! I had to explain that we need to wave at other T's and how we don't wave at Merc's or Ford's 😂

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I've had a busy few days with the van. My ECP order finally arrived, so I fitted the pollen filter (with help from my son) and used the can of AC cleaner.

Fitting the pollen filter
by Lewis Craik, on Flickr
The next morning I had a load of errands to do, when I started the van I the smell of vomit seemed worse, but then went away, hopefully for good! My first job was calling in at the VW van centre to pick up the roof console trim - I have never seen so many Transporters in one place! Their T6.1 Kombi demonstrator is in the same colour as mine and looked really nice. In the evening I went to pick up a takeaway and aced the parallel park in the prime spot outside the takeaway, with an audience, I think it is safe to sat that I am used to parking the van now!

This morning I took the boys out for a drive, to get them out of the house, and run some more errands. I decided to fill up the tank as fuel prices are low, which also gave me the chance to workout the fuel economy, rather than relying on the on board computer - 34.5mpg seems lower than I would have expected, but there has been a lot of short urban journeys and none of the longer trips I had been looking forward to (should have been in Pembrokeshire last week).

This afternoon I fitted the roof console trim, adding extra padded tape on top of the existing squashed tape as I went. I broke a few more clips on the old trim removing it, but at least now I have worked out how to do it - the cubby pocket needs to be unscrewed and comes out with the trim, but the screw is hidden by a brace on the roof lining plastics. I probably should have taken more photographs than I did, but what I had hoped would be a 30 minute job took a lot longer. I haven't been for a drive yet, but the trim seems to move less than the old part, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've done 100 miles over the last few days, using the an as it was intended - days out with the bikes and family and the rattle from the roof console seems to be fixed! The AC smell seems to have fully gone too.
‘Days out’ what are they then??
It‘s still just a back and fore to work vehicle for me in Wales!! 😂😂

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
I assume 'blocking strips' are a length of rubber moulding that sits in between the windscreen and dashboard to fill the crevasse that swallows a multitude of stuff .

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Ah, I see you used some door seal, I may have some draught strip knocking about, will try that if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Pduk, not sure if you have seen this, it works for me and, I use it as a shower!
View attachment 180077
Thanks mate, was discussing camping yesterday at work and talking how it would be great to have a shower as when the camp sites open I'd be very surprised if the shower blocks will be open.
Will have a shufty on the net for these (y)

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
The trim is only 7 earth pounds guys and sits nicely in the void, in case you've not got anything laying around (y)
Thanks for that, will order some, just discovered a crack running from the bottom of the windscreen :eek: I’ve no idea how that’s happened, vans been on drive for most of the time, apart from taking a food parcel to my mum, but was not aware of anything hitting the screen 🤔

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
We've had some hellish strong winds recently, could be if you've had the same something hit your windscreen while parked up. Either way it sucks!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
We've had some hellish strong winds recently, could be if you've had the same something hit your windscreen while parked up. Either way it sucks
Could be, there is a smallish tree only a few metres away from the drive, so summit could have been blown of it. Have been riding my local woods of a night recently, after the wind had died down everything was covered in fallen leaves n branches, could’nt see where to go in many places!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I never thought this would happen, but possibly not a surprise to most here - at the weekend I chose the Transporter for a day of driving, rather than my MR2 Roadster! I needed to drop some things at my brother's house in Kent, then some other things at my parents house in the Cotswolds. I knew the van would be a more relaxing drive on the motorway and I was able to stick my bike in the back for a ride at Epping Forest, to stretch my legs on the way down.

Unsurprisingly, there were many Transporters in the car park at the trailhead:

Van friends
by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

I am happy to report that 6 hours 5 minutes/284 miles later there were no problems with the van and I found the drive relaxing - AC was very welcome given the weather at the weekend, especially after the bike ride. I was on the cruise control at 70mph for most of the journey and averaged 39.3mpg and 47mph (the dartford crossing was closed for a while, so lost a lot of time in the jam).

I'm looking forward to doing some more longer trips in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
I do like how when Transporter owners pull into a carpark, if they see another one they will more than likely park next to or near it (y)

101 - 120 of 125 Posts