VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible for me to replace the crank sprocket myself? i don't have any timing tools to lock the pump etc. was wondering if i could just release the tensioner to give me enough play to take the old one out and replace the sprocket and stretch bolt.

also i'm not sure if it is the sprocket or the vibration damper which is wobbling. i cant afford a new vibration damper right now (been quoted £227 plus vat from VW) so are there any other suppliers or as a last resort is the damper fitted to any other models/engines so i can source a second hand one temporarily?

I'm getting a sort of engine mount wobble on gear changes and acceleration. could this be down to the damper?

All advice appreciated

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right. I've ordered the crank sprocket and stretch bolt from the stealer. £26 for the sprocket and £2 for the bolt plus VAT. Coming in tomorrow.
Phoned Euro and they said that my van doesn't have a torsion damper/harmonic damper. Think they're talking out their arris to be honest. Can anyone confirm?
Also, I still need to know if anyone reckons its possible to replace the crank pulley whilst the belt is in situ i.e marking the location as you might when replacing the belt then carefully removing the old one and replacing with the new one without disturbing the crank. Just spent over 500 quid on garage bills so I don't really want to take it back in
Is the sprocket likely to be tight on the crank and will i need a puller to remove?

·
Registered
90 Posts
hello, does your crank pulley have 4 allen bolts behind the stretch bolt? if so you can change the damper/crank pully without affecting the timing (if the sprocket doesn't fall off). the 4 allen bolts connect the /damper/pulley to the sprocket they may take a bit of cracking off though. Undo them before undoing the stretch bolt, then when you undo the stretch bolt the damper/pully should fall away leaving the sprocket on the crank with the cam belt still in place. if the sprocket falls off then the cam belt will move. If you dont have the type with 4 allen bolts then i' not sure. My engine is AJA just finished rebuilding it. hope it helps Bry.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have the crank damper off. It is the type with 4 allen head bolts. I'm having to convert to a damper from a 1Z from a 1X type as i can't even source one from VW. Means changing the belt type from V to flat as well. Think i'm just going to buy the timing tools and have a crack at it when replacing the main crank pulley

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
hello, does your crank pulley have 4 allen bolts behind the stretch bolt? if so you can change the damper/crank pully without affecting the timing (if the sprocket doesn't fall off). the 4 allen bolts connect the /damper/pulley to the sprocket they may take a bit of cracking off though. Undo them before undoing the stretch bolt, then when you undo the stretch bolt the damper/pully should fall away leaving the sprocket on the crank with the cam belt still in place. if the sprocket falls off then the cam belt will move. If you dont have the type with 4 allen bolts then i' not sure. My engine is AJA just finished rebuilding it. hope it helps Bry.
To help the sprocket stay in place, loosen the 4 screws maybe one turn each & tap with a punch onto the heads as you slightly pull the harmonic balancer pulley away. I had to use a puller on mine because it was too tight to pull by hand, someone may have have put something on there to keep it tight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts