VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay folks ,bad things have happened to our Abl engine.
It all started when the auxillery belt snapped/turned in to spaghetti and got all chewed up in the timing gear.So i reset the the timing
turned over by hand.It turned over ok but there was bent valve sounds sort off clunk/slap.So took the head off its full of cracks. I found another one to replace it and iv been going though all the advise that you folks have posted up about belts pulleys and about the Crank shaft pulley needing to be replaced so thats where im stuck I cant get the pulley off??
How is it done?
Any help would be great thanx

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey dude, Had mine off last weekend to inspect a wobble....

firstly you need to undo the ring of 4 alan headed bolts if you can do it with both wheels on the ground or you'll probably just turn the engine over, stick it in gear and use the power of grey skull to undo those, then the pulley mitt balancer thingy will come off with your power steering belt, You will be left with a small cog/sprocket and this is undone with a 19mm i believe.. again its gonna be harder than woodpecker lips to undo then the sprocket will slide off the shaft exposing a woodruff key.... (a half moon shape thing to allow the sprocket to turn on the shaft)

I believe there is a plastic/metal type bearing within the block its self that it sits on and is a common failure on the ABL..

that may need replacing... are you changing it because its wobbling or worn?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the moment the van, has all its belts off and awaiting replacement cylinder head.

When I try to loosen the bolt,the engine still turns [van is in gear] The only reason im changing the pulley and bolt
is that seems to be the done thing from what iv read on the forum..after reading the posts about the dreaded wobble.

Is it the right thing to do? Or should I just leave it alone ?

·
Previously; stevemadbiker
1,308 Posts
Hi
If you can use a air gun that will work or get some one to hold a pry bar or large screwdriver in between the teeth on the fly wheel and let the pry bar rest against the gearbox housing. Then you can give it some stick to shift the bolt.
steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a dead engine because the bottom bolt snapped and the pulley came off. since I had a new head fitted last year you can imagine how gutted I felt. always replace the lower bolt when reassembling because the bolt is a stretch type and can only be used the once:bhd

·
Registered
703 Posts
Same happened to me. I currently have my engine out to start a tdi conversion. Your crank nose will be damaged of the bottom pulley bolt snapped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a dead engine because the bottom bolt snapped and the pulley came off. since I had a new head fitted last year you can imagine how gutted I felt. always replace the lower bolt when reassembling because the bolt is a stretch type and can only be used the once:bhd
Hi this same thing happened to me that cog thing was replace in june with the stretch bolt...by September the bolt had snapped no idea if it was the old one or a new one..I'm guessing old bolt buy mechanic is blaming a pulley issue for ot snapping...anyway my head is cracked ..valves etc seem ok so was planning to replace the head but someone has said it's a waste of money as it will just happen again as it's the crankshaft that's the fault in the abl...is this true???...I had a reconditioned engine put in 3yrs ago so I'm gutted

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi this same thing happened to me that cog thing was replace in june with the stretch bolt...by September the bolt had snapped no idea if it was the old one or a new one..I'm guessing old bolt buy mechanic is blaming a pulley issue for ot snapping...anyway my head is cracked ..valves etc seem ok so was planning to replace the head but someone has said it's a waste of money as it will just happen again as it's the crankshaft that's the fault in the abl...is this true???...I had a reconditioned engine put in 3yrs ago so I'm gutted
You can recut the crank face if it's damaged in situ. A chap put his tale of woe on here not so long ago. If I remember rightly he's offered the tool for hire/sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts