VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following a small bump, the van went off for some front end hospital treatment.

That is a story in itself, but once delivered back to me as it should be, I realised the cranking battery seemed to run down over night,

It would need a boost or a jump from another car to get it running first thing in the morning.

Once running, it would stop, start and go as normal, no battery warning light.

The first 4 mornings after I got the van back it needed a jump start.

Thereon after, it started in the mornings.

However, I noticed on a weekend away that the leisure battery wasn't holding charge either. A weekend in the New Forest consisted of warm beer, no water from the electric tap, fading led lights and no stereo.

I had the cranking battery checked at a battery shop and all the voltage seemed ok. We didn't check the leisure battery as its under the driver's seat.

My amp now no longer comes on, and that is wired directly to the leisure battery, which itself is charged from the alternator.

I very rarely use the charger from Travelvolts which is wired into my hook up.

I have a CAT 1 alarm that has always been fine for weeks if the van is left alone. These days it goes off over night and misbehaves until the van has been jump started.

Questions:

Did my batteries get killed by bodyshop ravers or did I ruin them myself by not charging from the mains?

Can I breath some new life into my leisure battery or is it a gonna?

Or is it a problem with my alternator? Is it really man enough to charge both my 110a leisure battery and cranking battery?

·
Registered
844 Posts
It is possible but unlikely that the batteries were shocked and shorted by the bump. More likely is that the body shop disconnected the batteries to work and discharged them. If you have a decent intelligent charger, take both off and run a maintainable mode charge overnight, double check the wiring for any shorts or false earths.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both batteries were knackered!
2 new ones and all is good.
T:
Thanks for the advice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts