VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So travelling to spain and our 97 1.9 td abl 250k miles on the clock brokedown, we was recovered to a garage where the mechanic really wanted to scrap our belovered vw that we have had for 15 years now. So the last resort was to get her out of there quick, so had the recovery company bring her 4hrs down the road to a family members house. Where we have her now for last 4 weeks. I have been looking into either replace the crankshaft or replace the engine, ive been to 3 very large scrap yards but can not get an abl engine they have offered tdi from a seat. But i know id need the rest like ecu etc. I could not see a 1x engine in the list which would make it easier for me. I have a replacment crankshaft in england that was bought when we brokedown. So for the last 4 weeks i have been getting dirty with the tools remove the pulleys to get the sump off to look at the crankshaft to see if it had snapped which it has just behind flywheel housing, the engine still turns and runs just very loud. So my next step is to remove the crankshaft, I havnt yet been able to gether the courage to undo the bolts yet, after sourcing all the tools i need to lift the van support it and buy a larger socket set. I am stuck at should i remove the timing belt first before the crankshaft, if i do, can i still rotate the engine without the belt on.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
What happened when you broke down?

27mm socket on the large pulley bolt to turn over by hand. will tell all really if it doesnt move your going to have to whip the sump off.

Not sure if all t4 sumps are the same but theres 2 very pita bolts to removed. One can only be accessed through a notch in the flywheel.. i think the other ones obscured by the diff. Need the right allen key, ball end at least.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you say it runs but its very loud check the crank pulley. They sound like doom when they start to go.. there a 2 part thing and break down..

·
Registered
531 Posts
HI mate

Just wondering how you can run the engine if the crankshaft is broken behind the flywheel as the flywheel has the starter on it???

would not worry about removing the cambelt, camshaft is easily aligned at the gearbox end, the Fuel pump has a place for a locking pin, if you remove the camshaft this will lift the valves out the way enabling you to turn the bottom end without crashing anything.
you gonna need to separate the gear box to remove the clutch, flywheel & seal.

sounds like you have a bit of a job on your hands, best of luck

mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the breakdown guy came i had to fire it up for him to dianose the issue, it fired up but was very loud, the garage removed the drive shafts gear box and clutch to tell me the flywheel then the camshaft then the crankshaft has broke. They wanted to scrap the camper so had it removed from there, all the paRts he took off came in a box in the van, in my mind he didnt diagose the problem so i have continued with it and removed the sump now but undecided about removing the timing belt.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The crankshaft has snapped which i can see and feel. My next step is to take it out it check for more damage inside. Thats the part i am stuck at. Ive turned the engine by hand using the 27mm spanner crankshaft end it turns fine lots of compression there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The crankshaft has snapped which i can see and feel. My next step is to take it out it check for more damage inside. Thats the part i am stuck at. Ive turned the engine by hand using the 27mm spanner crankshaft end it turns fine lots of compression there.
sorry that doesent make make sense to me? if it turns fine with plenty of compression it cant be snapped?

also there is a large scrapyard near granada airport have you been there? granada is about an hour 30 mins from me,

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry that doesent make make sense to me? if it turns fine with plenty of compression it cant be snapped?

also there is a large scrapyard near granada airport have you been there? granada is about an hour 30 mins from me,
Yes it is snapped, i am in padul, if you could come and give me a hand or see for yourself that would great appreciated

·
Registered
336 Posts
ok will try and find a spare few hours to get up to you wont be tomorrow though as got previous appointments will try to clear the decks over next few days how long you staying there?
pm me the address and telephone number will let you know

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi Mate

Most likely failure for this engine is the crank Pulley on the end of the Crank shaft, caused by not replacing the crank pulley bolt while doing a cambelt.

I would take the cambelt off and the Crank Pulley but this has a 19mm (tripple square/12 point) head. This is a stretch bolt and must be replaced when ever replaced and done up to the correct torque.
I would think this is the problem and can be re machined and refitted as done myself.
if you are turning the engine by hand i would also take the cam cover off and check the Camshaft and look to see the if you have gaps between the cam lobes & Followers. If so you will need a new set of Hydrolic lifters and At this point i would also remove the head and check the valves for damage.

mike

·
Registered
336 Posts
OK,

Finally managed to get over to Phil today, crank has snapped just at the end of number 4 big end journal,
luckily not the actual journal itself but the web on the counter weights, Whipped the crank out,cant find any reason for it, all bearings were checked and show very little wear big ends and mains, checked all the bolt hole landings and none are cracked or split, only thing i can think of is the web just cracked through metal fatigue, as the engine appears to be in fine fettle all over,
My only worry would be if there was enough play in the crank for number 4 piston to hit the valves but i dont think it has,
so i think his best answer would be to just rplace the crank with new bearings all round and get it home?
he is thinking of doing a tdi conversion, but buying a 2nd had motor and fitting it just before a 1200 mile journey could be asking for trouble?
thoughts please

·
Registered
371 Posts
Im sorry to hear about you troubles. My personal philosophy is when it breaks you upgrade T: . Im sorry if that doesn't help you much :(

·
Registered
336 Posts
Im sorry to hear about you troubles. My personal philosophy is when it breaks you upgrade T: . Im sorry if that doesn't help you much :(
not a bad philosophy to be honest but biuying an unkown 2nd had engine in spain is fraught with potential troubles,it wouold probably be from a seat if we could find the codes to match, but the spanish people do not look after thier cars like we do, i did a camblet the other week for a guy on a vw jetta, he complained when i charged him 100 euro, said it conly cost him 35 last time he had it done, when and where was that i said?
13 years ago was the reply!!I:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts