VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typical...just had my cambelt and water pump changed by a local garage who did not tell me that my crankshaft oil seal is leaking. :(

Prior to this, I thought it was the power steering pump as the fluid was collecting around that area and being spread further by the pump belt. After a quick change of pump and a drive I can now see and say it’s the crankshaft oil seal (as top of engine near oil pump is dry).

Does anyone know how much a crankshaft oil seal (front) is?

And would you go back to the local garage to discuss this issue further (as I believe "the job" will require the removal of cambelt...another 3 hours labour!!)?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Typical...just had my cambelt and water pump changed by a local garage who did not tell me that my crankshaft oil seal is leaking. :(

Prior to this, I thought it was the power steering pump as the fluid was collecting around that area and being spread further by the pump belt. After a quick change of pump and a drive I can now see and say it’s the crankshaft oil seal (as top of engine near oil pump is dry).

Does anyone know how much a crankshaft oil seal (front) is?

And would you go back to the local garage to discuss this issue further (as I believe "the job" will require the removal of cambelt...another 3 hours labour!!)?
They should have brought it to your attention mate when they did the belts. If you have a calm word with them you may find they offer a discount to re-do the job.
If they don't, have a loud word and a threat of the wife with them to get a discount . :eek:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They should have brought it to your attention mate when they did the belts. If you have a calm word with them you may find they offer a discount to re-do the job.
If they don't, have a loud word and a threat of the wife with them to get a discount . :eek:
Will give them a call tomorrow to discuss this, although I did supply the parts but I did not know where the oil leak was coming from, if I did, I would of supplied the seal! :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts