VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a dilemma....

About a month ago I crashed my van called Bumble which I did quite a bit of work on. As can be seen in my blog: http://eru-bumble.blogspot.com T:T:T:

When it was towed away I stripped all the important valuable things off it for fear the garage would steal them or not see their real value. So van is now a basic plumbers van missing stuff like alloys, lowered springs, clear lights, head unit, ect. In fact most things apart from the non removable stuff like the two side windows, sunroof and tints.

The crash was a front end damage:

Chassis looks possibly 'ok' so might be repairable via a new front end - hmmm. Engine seems to be ok i.e. no visible damage, although the radiator has been pushed back to about 1cm in front of it.

Insurance have offered £1500 (think I should dispute this?) for the van and stated I could then pay £150 (+£45 to redeliver) to 'buy it back'. They stated that I could only buy it back if I was going to repair it tho as they had agreements with garages for scrap value.... i'm planing on stating i'm repairing it and then state I 'gave up' I suspect they made this up to get their mitts on a potentially good scrap value money earner.

Now here is what i'm thinking .... I take the insurance money and then buy it back. Then sell engine (about £500-800 for an 1.9 ABL right?) and brake the remaining van for my fellow T4 forum users. I'd love to get it back on the road and totally loath to see my hard work go to waste but i'm thinking the recession might enable me to pickup a new van for about the 1-2k mark.

What would you do folks?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Id buy back if you got the space to store it. Rape it for parts an get Bumble 2 "Son of Bumble".
:ILU:

Oh an if its a late T4 let me have all your dash bits I:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
ALWAYS turn down insurance payout offers until they stop increasing them and say thats as high as they are going!!

Theres a guy in Cardiff that buys scrapped or,written off t4s and would probably buy that off you to repair. pm me if you want his no.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
On the flip side, if you've already removed all the good/valuable bits then how much do you realistically reckon you'll get for the rest? Then factor in the hassle of removing, cleaning, packing, posting each item or arranging collection etc.

Not sure you'd get as much as you hope for the engine, after all we saw a 2.5TDI for £500 just recently.
Assuming the shell couldn't be salvaged, so you sold panels, anything interior and a few mechanical bits you're probably only looking around £500 with all the hassle that goes with it. Also of course any possible legal issues around breaking the van that may arise with the DVLA or your insurers.

Since it'll cost you £200 to get the van back do you really want the hassle for £300 or so? (You've gotta put a value on your own time!)

Personally I'd pat myself on the back for salvaging what I could then take the money and go shopping knowing I already had lots of lovely goodies to pop on the new van.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
a 2.5 tdi engine with full history with belts done only a few months ago is only worth £500 which i sold on here a few weeks back, wish i had put it on ebay to get a bit more! Dont think a 1.9 is worth £500-£800 and the hassle of taking it out!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
yep i agree im guessing its a panel van so not a lot of bits to rape really id take the money and leave them to it .

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what mileage has the engine done? any service history with it?
It's a 215 off kk mileage engine. It's had the head done recently and worked like a charm. I've been to France and Scotland recently with no problems. It turned over fine after the bump too.

~1.9TD ABL engine

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi mate why dont you buy the van back and repair it ( you have all the stuff to go back in! ) its probly cat c this means it has to be VIC to be put back on the road ! this cost £26.50 and is done by the ministry of transport ,they just check that all the vin numbers match up which they will and then you can reapply for your log book !! looking at your pic its new wingg front panel / bonnet and some bits and peices ? NB it has to be repaired before going for VIC check ok ! it realy is easy to do i have done a couple of damage repairables for myself and its not difficult to do! ( it is recorded on the log book as being repaired ) the other thing as well you will have the cash paid from the insurance to cover parts ! enlist a handy mate give it a go nothing to lose at worse you can still sale it for parts and that is not hard to do as the list for people wanting bits is growing reading the threads , if you a bit of advise from of how to go about realigning things just pm me no specials equip needed ( i stress in light damage only before i get jumped on lol! ) mig welder/ tape/hammer and maybe a couple of beers to destress yourself LOL ! PaulT:

NB if its cat D its not recorded and does not need a VIC just needs to be repaired and put back on road maybe new mot not fully sure about that one as i have only done cat C.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am after a glazed near side sliding door. does £100 sound about right, I can collect. Please ring me on 07974 678380 if still available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts