VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

Do any other members on here have a creaky T4? I will explain what I mean...

I have an 02 Ex-AA 2.5 tdi and have owned it over 3 years and covered about 40k in this time. Its a great van! However, It has always had a creaking noise and a slight knock under the pasenger footwell area which I have mentioned to one or two mechanics who have found no obvious fault. The noise seems to be getting worse now, and something needs to be done. It tends to show itself on slow bumpy tracks, but also on sweeping right hand bends or (UK) roundabouts. It has passed 3 mot tests without any fails in this area...I am mystified, but no mechanic.

if this is a familiar problem to any other members, then your ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check your shock top rubbers the one you cant see:( that could be your knock as for the creak i changed my ball joints and it solved that problem.T:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
just a thought , are you sure its not your sliding door creaking ? a common problem . worth looking at , as you know noises can seem like they are from one area but are from somewhere else
kieran

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
just a thought , are you sure its not your sliding door creaking ? a common problem . worth looking at , as you know noises can seem like they are from one area but are from somewhere else
kieran
A bit off topic, but my sliding door can be a bit squeaky and rattley at times. Any easy way to sort it?

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
sounds like balljoints, if you jack up the van so that most but not all of the weight is off the front pass wheel and then check with a prybar for play in top / bottom balljoints.

if you check for play with wheel off the ground the torsion bar will take up any play and make the balljoints appear fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for your comments...I will check the shock rubbers and ball joints! My side door seems fine.T: I phoned VW about this and the first thing they asked me was "have you ever had the gearbox out?" Apparently if this is so, the torsion bars would need adjusting? I will be investigating all these possibilities and see what transpires.

thanksT:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a creaking noise from one of my caravelles, I traced it to the steering rack, if you can get someone to rock the van to try and get the noise to start then spray the area you think its coming from with WD40 thats how I traced my noise I had to spray into the gaitor on the rack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts