VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just prepping the van to fit some rather tasty full leccy Saab 9-3 seats ~ removed the rubber cab mat & BAM !! actually 'glug' describes it better ~ the cab mat has literally gallons of fluid in it :eek::eek:

It not green & gooey, its clear, has the consistancy of oil & has dissolved some of the foam :(

Now, I know what you're thinking : clutch / brake fluid ~ but no, the slave cylinder is fine & the pedal box has had Trev's deft welding done.

The van doesnt lose a drop of coolant either.

Perhaps it's a leak from before my ownership ~ luckily there's not a spec of rust under there.

Anybody else had this ?? :*

·
Registered
731 Posts
It is highly likely to be normal rainwater ingress. I have seen a few over the years and yes after sitting there for a while it does go greasy. Likely ingress points are windscreen seal, door seals etc.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is highly likely to be normal rainwater ingress. I have seen a few over the years and yes after sitting there for a while it does go greasy. Likely ingress points are windscreen seal, door seals etc.

Cheers Mate, I'll get the hosepipe out & give it a good soaking. It doesn't have the usual rust aound the screen as it's late 2002.

I'm just amazed how much liquid was hiding in there :cool:

·
Registered
731 Posts
The cab mats absorb / hold a hell of a lot of water. I sorted a passat last month that had blocked drains and was getting water ingress through the pollen filter. I removed over 10litres of water from the Nearside foot wells of the car. The water over time goes thick and oil like through mixing with the underside of the insulation / matting.
Check your drain holes, scuttle panel seals etc.
good luck bud.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've been all over it with the flippin' hose ~ it stubbornly refuses to leak anywhere, maybe it's old news :*

But what I have found is a curious 8mm drilled hole in the floor under the passengers seat ~ it's a total mystery.... but nothing the mastic gun wont cure :ILU:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts