VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently fitted a genuine Cruise Control stalk and wiring harness. Followed the instructions, local dealer switched it on, but it doesn't work.
I object to forking out good money to dealerships when they seem to not know what they are doing. The techo said that the system requires a CONTROL MODULE, . With nothing mentioned on the instructions, can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Fitted mine a year ago, tried two different stalks bought new pedal switches, turned it on and off and back on again in vagcom and it still dosen't work, only thing i think it could be is my led rear lights , if you have a van they may need a resistor but mine is a caravelle with the extra brake so shouldn't need one but i can't think of any else it could be....so like you i'm cruise less...

Good luck....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just check that you have definitely got the right connector. When I fitted mine I noticed that there was a spare connector that would have fitted nicely in the new CC loom just under the steering wheel. However I eventually found the correct one way behind the fuse box near where the wires come through the bulkhead from the engine bay.

I'm not near the van now to have a look, but I think I noticed I had the wrong one to start with due to the difference in colours or numbering on the first connector I found from those in the instructions.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Have you tried revving the engine whilst having your foot on the brake pedal guys?
Once the brake pedal is pressed your revs should cut down to tick-over this shows you your system is working correctly for the cruise control.
If you have Vagcom you can also check your clutch pedal is giving the correct signal this also effects cruise if faulty.
Vagcom will also show your brake pedal signal and it will show that cruise is turned on and off.
The following is the vagcom page needed for monitoring the numbers will change to 1 from 0 when activating any of the above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I've been workin for days and couldn't get back to answer.
Lets see now,
I have VAG-COM but cant get it workin either (might be a common thread there)!
Local VW dealer turned it on and recently confirmed that it had been turned on but couldn't tell me why it wasn't working without me handing over even more money (current service rate is $120aud per hour) That gets painful quickly.
Rear lights are fine.
Plug into the right plug.
Stalk switches test fine.
I will check pedal switches again.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, I've been workin for days and couldn't get back to answer.
Lets see now,
I have VAG-COM but cant get it workin either (might be a common thread there)!
Local VW dealer turned it on and recently confirmed that it had been turned on but couldn't tell me why it wasn't working without me handing over even more money (current service rate is $120aud per hour) That gets painful quickly.
Rear lights are fine.
Plug into the right plug.
Stalk switches test fine.
I will check pedal switches again.
Cheers
Radio can cause problems too if you have an aftermarket one.

Disconnect the Blue and white wire and tape it up.

This is because there is a speed signal for the GALA on the original radio (turns volume up and down depending on speed)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that, it is a possibility. When you say "tape it up", do you mean "wire them together and tape them up" or "tape them independently"?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Assuming that it's a single wire with 2 colours T:
Yes one wire blue/white trace.

just isolate it from everything else as some radios short the pin to 12v.

Easiest way is to take out the radio and put it on the pass seat and drive it up the road.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi all, right it too in the cak with the rudy cruise control system and well pittled off after spend good brass and getting nothing.

Ok a DIY fit which tool me ages - server disabled (sorry hence took ages)

Ok had a firend check all the wiring and as to the OEM document all seems good.

fitted the OEM stalks and had a local agent swithc it on - and off and on and off and back on just to make sure.

Now i get the cruise light coming up and will go on and off on the switch on the stalk.

It only shows the light on initial start up....

Press the brakes and it goes off straight away and doesnt come back on.

Ok been reading some of the threads and see theres a difference with 06 year - typical mines an 06 as well.

Also got the LED lights in the rear with resistors to make em work, they wouldnt work at all without one in each light unit.

Also had a brand new brake switch fitted thinking it was that.

So where next guys im so disabled im in a real state for getting in to do anything and dont trust the main dealers who seem to know nothing other than how to charge you big bucks.

Iver tried all speeds and nothing.....

Ok so this calibration of the throttle / pedals....

OK how do i do it, i will try owt that dont involve crawling about or spending a bomb.

any help is greatly appriciated guys, as a spaz on one leg its a hard life as is it.

Oh also any ideas for left foot throttle? £375 for a metal bracket is taking the pi** in my eyes especially since i cant work for health reasons.

HELP PLEASE>

·
Registered
85 Posts
Argh i have used the Blue and White wire im sure for the arieal control - i will remove that too tomorrow and see if it helps in anyway.

Radio signal utter rubbish with the shark fin thin, you might as well stand facing the wind when you havea leak :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts