VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are plenty of other references on here to installing Cruise Control, but hopefully this is a bit more comprehensive- Please dont attemp this unless you are competent enough to do so! (legal bit)

This is for a 2001 TDi with steering wheel AIRBAG (your's might be different- check first!)

Firstly-
DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DISCONNECT YOUR AIRBAG TO REMOVE STEERING WHEEL!!!!!
LEAVE IT FOR 5 MINS BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER

I bought one of these- a cruise control stalk with wiring loom (Genuine VW T4 part- £55ex VAT from VW- no re-wiring required- just plug n play!)

There are easy(ish) to follow instructions included in pack but ive found easier ways to do what is needed.

Step 1-
MAKE SURE YOU'VE DISCONNECTED YOUR BATTERY!!!!!
LEAVE IT FOR 5 MINS BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER

Step 2-
Take off your steering column cowling (3 star screws on bottom side) to make it easier for Step 3.. Remember to disconnect your VAG Com plug from cowling before taking it off completely!

Step 3-
Turn your steering wheel thru 90degrees.
Stick a flat bladed screwdriver into the snmall hole behind steering wheel as shown.

You are trying to prise this spring clip off the "bullet" lugs that hold on the airbag to steering wheel so your blade needs to be square on!
Make sure the handle side of driver pointed down towards steering column, blade side pointing out towards outside of wheel to get blade under wire clip.

Now pull up on screwdriver, taking handle end up & away from column to roof, pivoting the blade down towards the centre of steering wheel, moving spring clip and releasing from bullet lug.

Do same on other side.

THIS WILL TAKE SOME TIME (keep trying- i took 20mins to get first one!)

The airbag will eventually come away from steering wheel (look carefully- i didnt notice it was away at first, theres no "click" to let you know!)

Step 4-
Disconnect this yellow plug before fully removing airbag & leaving in safe place- ("bullet" lugs can be seen top & bottom of airbag in pic)

Step 5
Undo steering wheel nut (normal anti-clockwise to loosen) might be an idea to put steering wheel lock on but use your knees etc to brace it when undoing nut.
Make sure nothing pops or springs out and take a note of where washer and "spring clip" are.
Mark the position of the steering wheel with a permanent marker or pencil both on the steering wheel (toothed ring) and on steering column spline (make sure marks are exactly in line before pulling off wheel!!I:)

Step 6-
Disconnect the existing connectors on stalks and undo the 3 retaining screws shown-

Step 7-
Install new CC stalk as reverse of step 6- re-fit all connections & screw on.
Daub a bit of grease on copper strip (this rubs against copper ring on steering wheel to give connection when wheel being turned)
New stalk installed-

Step 8-
Locate relay/ fuse box by unscrewing nut on the cubby hole just below the light switch.
This pivots down so you need to pull firmly to disconnect retaining lugs.
Undo the 2 screws and one nut at the strengthening plate covering the relay's (it just makes life so much easier- instructions say you dont have to but i honestly think it saves time in long run- you'll see why later!)
No need to locate or remove "relay 3" as per instructions!!!!!!!!!!

If you have the room to lie down then you might not need to do the following steps- you may be able to locate the black CC loom connector at rear of fusebox.

I couldnt- so............

Pull thisblack plastic cover towards you to uncover the clips holding inrelay/ fusebox

Unclip the "anti twist" clips both sides and pull the whole relay/ fusebox upwards towards speedo

Step 9-
:*:*:*
This is what will greet you when you take off relay/ fuse box :eek:
DONT PANIC! (Though its far worse than it looks :D )

You need to locate the black Cruise Control loom connector which is HERE-

Its THIS- (should have numbers 1 & 3 and 4 & 2 on opposite sides- make sure you connect your loom accordingly as its numbered same way- have a good look at your connector/ loom - you'll see what i mean :D)

Step 10-
Connect it all together, both here and at the stalk on steering column, put relay/ fuse box back together, re fasten metal strengthening plate, zip- tie your new loom neatly to existing wiring, well out of the way of the pedals.

Put your plastic cowling back on steering column, re- fit all your plastic gubbins etc

Remeber to re-connect your VAG-Com connector in cowling! I:

Now LINE UP YOUR MARKS ON STEERING WHEEL AND STEERING COLUMN CAREFULLY
This will save more hassle - you shouldnt have to re-align after everything done up!

Put on your washers/ nuts etc in reverse sequence as they came off.

Now re-connect your airbag wiring and push airbag unit home firmly until it clicks and "bullet" lugs lock into the spring clips that were a pain in the ar*se to undo when you started!! LOL:

Re- connect your battery, make sure your lights/ horn/ indicators etc etc all work

NOW GO SPEAK NICELY TO SOMEONE WITH VAG-Com WHO WILL HAVE TO ACTIVATE YOUR NEW INSTALLATION BEFORE IT WILL FUNCTION AS INTENDED.
**UPDATE** INSTALL SHEET WITH CC STALK STATES LINE 11 TO ACTIVATE- ITS LINE 16 TO PUT ACTIVATION CODE IN!!

Take some money/ beer/ fags/ etc to use as bribery LOL:

Enjoy T:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Excellent thread and I'd love to do this but fear as mine is a 1.9TD it can't be done. Any ideas? Thanks,

Robbie

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just did this today. It's pretty straightforward, the hardest part for me was locating the plug in the pile of wiring. I found mine was pulled tight up to the cable tie holding the bundle together.

Twozups write-up is excellent, I would just like to add some notes on activating the cruise in the ECU using a cheap lead from eBay and the free version of VCDS from ross tech.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Before I started to fit the cruise system, I tried the test to make sure it would work:

I started the engine and gently increased the revs to 2000rpm. Then using my left foot I pressed the brake pedal. After about a second the engine speed dropped to 1000rpm - this apparently indicates the engine is capable of using cruise (I have a 2.5tdi)

Once I had fitted the stalk and ran the cc loom, I put the ignition on and checked the operation of the indicators and flasshers to make sure the stalk was not dud.

Once I had fitted the whole thing, it was time to break out the VAG Com lead which I bought from eBay for about 8 quid.

I plugged it into the diags port behind the flap below the steering wheel, plugged it onto the usb on the laptop and ran the free VCDS software that was sent to me by link after I bought the lead. You need the ignition on.

Once the software was running, I went into the engine module and waited until the software found the control module.

You can see that the engine component says "0000SG" which shows that the cruise control is not switched on.

Press the "Login 11" button.

Enter the code 11463 in the "login code" box

Click "Do It!"

You will be returned to the screen with the engine controller. Click on "Close Controller, Go Back 06"

Open the controller again and pray to the Luck Gods....

You will now see that the Component should have changed to "G000SG". Congrats, you now have Cruise :)

To test further, you can select "Meas Blocks 08"

You can see that all is off here. in the next picture, I have put the cruise control switch on.

The status now has 11 at the end.

You can also test the Clutch and Brake Switches as well as the resume switch on the stalk:

001011 - Switch On, resume held.

On with Clutch Depressed:

On with Brake Depressed:

If all these tests pass, go for a drive and test it!!

When driving along above 30 mph, make sure the cruise is set to On and press the Set button. Take your foot off the throttle, it should remain at the speed set.

Now, press the Resume switch over to the left and hold: The vehicle should get faster.

Tap the brake and then make sure the vehicle slows. Try the same test again with the clutch pedal to make sure all is well.

I love cruise, I have had it on all my cars. It is not only useful on the motorway to help economy but in town it is usefult to get into the habit of setting the cruise at 30, 40 and 50 etc to prevent speeding fines!!

Enjoy, Ade.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Have you got the vw part number please, ive got a 52 plate 2004 2.5tdi 102bhp.
cheers

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
i was amazed that all i had to do was fit the stalk and plug the little black plug in the back of the fuse box and it worked first time without needing vag com......well chuffed

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jst installed the Cruise contol stalk and connected the laptop. When I activate VDS LITE it wants me to test and find the COM PORT.........I`ve tried each port and no joy.....HELP PLEASE!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for this guide. I've got my "bodge Job" Cruise control installed over the weekend, and tested on the way to work this morning. Rather than use the proper VW stalk, I opted for a simple LED lit pushbutton switch. I've wired it so that the cruise control is permanently "on", and the switch acts as the "Set" button to set the speed. It is turned off by the brake or clutch pedal. Simple.

Oh, and I activated it using my cheap Ebay Dongle thingy and a copy of VCDS lite, and that worked a treat!

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wicked - thats a good plan - worth posting pics of that, I think!

The only bit I miss from my other cruise controls is a resume function. But other than that it's great.

Ade.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I was wondering if I wouldmiss the resume button, as SWMBO Fabia vRS has got one, but after driving my van around for a week with a "one button Cruise control", I don't think I do miss the resume function. Pictures will be a bit rubbish now, all they will do is show one of the dash inserts with a silver pushbotton in them, everything else is tidied away :)

This is the switch I used: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280611438950 The LED function is wired in to the grey/blue stripe wire which is the instrument lighting circuit. It is dimmable with the rest of the dash lighting on the rotary control thingy next tot he headlamp switch...

Andy

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just a quick note about the wiring I did. The black 4 pin connector on my van (the black t4f one in VW speak) was right up by the bulkhead under the relay/fuse box tied to the main loom coming in. I adopted the rather crude approach of lopping that connector off, and extending the wires up to the dashboard where the switch was mounted. I extended all the wires so it gives me the option of adding a resume switch at a later date.

On the connector pin one is a black/white wire, and this is the common conncetion. pin two is blue, and this is connected to the "resume" switch. Pin three is red/yellow and connected to the set switch. Pin four has two black wires and is connected to the on/off switch. All the wires that would come out of the switches are connected to the common (pin 1).

All I did was connect the on/off (pin 4) line to common (Pin 1) permanently (effectively switching the cruise control on permanently), leave the resume line (pin 2) not connected. I then wired the set line (pin 3) to the common through the push switch I bought. I wired in the LED illumination in the switch to a ground connection (brown) and dash lighting (grey/blue wire) that I spliced in to the back of the heated window switch.

And that's it. A bit of magic with VCDS lite, and cruis control is active, the speed is set with the push switch, and disengaged by tapping the brake, or clutch.

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi fitted cruise today, it realy is very simple, took me 20 mins and activated it myself with an Ebay copy of Vag Com.
the stalk cost me £86 from my local VW dealer, cheeper than ebay prices.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the write up - fitted mine tonight - around an hour and a half all in - the guide by yer man is excellent - got the airbag off easily following the photos. Hooked it up to an Autocom OBD software and simply pressed "OK" to activate it - dead easy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi also sorted cruise control today, was quite easy to do, anyone need it activating/fitting in cheshire for a reasonable price then gimme a pm. Had a bit of trouble getting the software to talk to the van just had to ensure the vagcom cable was set between ports 1-4 in device manager and problem solved, let me know if you get stuck

all for under 80 quid off ebay

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi also sorted cruise control today, was quite easy to do, anyone need it activating/fitting in cheshire for a reasonable price then gimme a pm. Had a bit of trouble getting the software to talk to the van just had to ensure the vagcom cable was set between ports 1-4 in device manager and problem solved, let me know if you get stuck

all for unsder 80 quid off fleabay

1 - 20 of 106 Posts