VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fitting cruise control into the t5, worked out where most of the wires fit but the loom seems to have a black plug and a black wire any ideas where these fit please
there are also two black yellow wires which fit into connector on the steering column, one black yellow goes to pin 26 and the other black/yellow go to pin 29 im assuming it doesnt matter which one fits in pin 26 and 29

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It's a long time ago when I fitted my cruise control, but I seem to remember where the BLACK wires go to a plug in the control unit under the dash, just above the throttle pedal, the fitting instructions tell you to remove an existing wire, connect it to a wire then fit a new BLACK wire to the existing plug where you just removed one from, (or something similar !!).

From memory, I didn't remove the BLACK wire from the plug, I just spliced into the existing wire & then covered the soldered joint with shrink sleeving. I think I did that because I didn't have the correct tool to extract the existing contact out of the plug.

The two BLACK/YELLOW wires are connected together further up in the loom so as you rightly say, it doesn't matter which one you fit to 26 & 29.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Forgot to say, in case you haven't got this far yet, ensure you connect the relative wire to the correct BLACK connector at the engine ECU.
A common mistake is to think you have the correct plug when you look inside the E-Box under the battery, but there are two BLACK plugs in there & one is much harder to find, that is the one you want.
I have a feeling that if you get the incorrect BLACK plug & fit your new wire there is no corresponding existing wire going out of the other half of the plug. That should raise your suspicion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks so the black wire i remove from the ecu plug should go into the cruise control loom plug of pic 1 and the single black wire in pic 1 goes to the ecu plug from where i just removed the black wire from if that makes sense
is it not a black/yellow wire which terminates somewhere near the battery

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
thanks so the black wire i remove from the ecu plug should go into the cruise control loom plug of pic 1 and the single black wire in pic 1 goes to the ecu plug from where i just removed the black wire from if that makes sense
is it not a black/yellow wire which terminates somewhere near the battery
No, either I've confused you or you've confused yourself.

Depending upon how old your van is the instructions may well be a bit different to the ones for my 2005 van, but I'm guessing they will be pretty much the same.

From memory, when I connected up my cruise control amongst the other wires, I had to connect the BLACK wire with the small plastic connector on, into one of the existing plugs that are connected to the control unit J519. This unit is located under the dash, driver's side, above the throttle pedal.
I seem to remember the instructions were saying remove the existing wire in whatever plug it was in J519, connect it to that new small connector & then connect the other end of that to where the original wire came from, or something like that.

There is one wire much longer than any of the others in the kit. This wire, (BLACK/YELLOW ?) goes to the engine ECU. This unit is located in the E-Box, under the main vehicle battery.
Make sure you get the correct BLACK plug in the E-Box to connect this wire into. There are two black plugs, you need the harder one to find & much harder to get access to !

The cable routing that the instructions suggest you follow to the E-Box is also not the best route to follow in my opinion.
I cut this wire & extended it. I then routed it behind the dash, following existing cable routes, over to the passenger side near where the heater fan is located.
If you look at the bulkhead in that area you should be able to find a suitable blanking grommet that you can use to pass the new cable through & then route it to the E-Box. You will need to put suitable protection on the cable to prevent it chaffing on any sharp edges.
This is better than following the suggested route alongside the bonnet release cable in my opinion.
You should also seal the E-Box at the point where you pass the new cable through to prevent moisture getting in this box.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks the black/yelow wire im ok wit i understand it gos to the battery area
in my first pic you can see twi black wires one is with the connector and one wire is black with a connector it is these two i am confused about, my understanding is the one with the connector slides into the slot where we remove the black wire from ie the one you soldered into and the one we have just removed from the slot clicks into the large connector in pic 1
does that make sense

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have to be honest I'm struggling to remember exactly what I did is was years ago.

I think I'm right in saying those two BLACK wires in your picture are connected together ?

You are supposed to remove an existing wire in a plug that's connected to J519 ?

You connect that removed wire to the new connector supplied in the kit ?

Connect those two halves together, (the new connector) ?

Then finally insert the new BLACK wire into the plug connected to J519, into the position vacated by the earlier removed original wire ?

I didn't have a suitable extractor to get the original wire out of the connector at J519, (so I could insert the new wire) so I just soldered the two new BLACK wires to the one I was supposed to remove after cutting them to the same length, stripping them & soldering.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this the instruction mannual im still a little confused why the two black wires in pic 1 would connect with one another if this was the case surely they would have come connected

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
That picture of your instructions is exactly the same as the instructions I got with my kit years ago.

I think these black wires are actually the +ve power feeds required to power up the cruise control circuits. I'm guessing adding cruise control requires this supply to be distributed differently and/or added to, if that makes any sense ?
It sems that VW have used the existing fuse, (SC13, 5A on my 2005 van) to supply the cruise control circuits. The thing that you seem to be doing here, (in order to add cruise control) is just adding one more wire to that fuse so that it powers up the cruise circuits. They guy at VW that got given the job of sorting this option out decided to do it this way. Another guy could have done the wiring slightly differently, but with the same result.

I think if you use a multimeter & test for continuity between the BLACK wires they will all be connected to each other, so potentially it doesen't really matter which BLACK wire goes to which specific point, so long as they all to to the points you should be connecting to.
Sort of a bit like all the BROWN wires in your van. They are ALL earths & without being too specific, (lengths/gauges, etc) providing they do go to a good earth each circuit will work as it should.

On my 2005 van fuse SC13 powers the cruise control. It also supplies other things in the steering wheel.

Ultimately though, if you follow what the fitting instructions are telling you to do you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will start fitting maybe it will be clearer once i start fitting
i understand all the instructions just confused on pic 1 black wires

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
i will start fitting maybe it will be clearer once i start fitting
i understand all the instructions just confused on pic 1 black wires
I know what you mean, that part also confused me when I first looked at it. I think after I'd read what the instructions were telling me to do a few times, while looking, physically, at what I was supposed to be doing it became much clearer.

I probably added to your confusion too by saying I spliced into my BLACK wire rather than extracting it, (because I didn't have the correct extraction tool).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts