VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Yet another question. I have a SWB T30 104 and would like to fit cruise control onto it. Is this possible and where can I get it done?

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
772 Posts
my works 104 has it great bit of kit , vw will fit have a word with dazboi , you have an air bag in the steering wheel so perhaps not one to try yourself

·
Registered
392 Posts
Had cruise retro fitted to my 104 by my local dealer. I think that the cost of the part was around £80 with a couple of hours labour to fit.
Worth checking with a few dealers first but ask if they have ever done one before - I don't think mine had and they took much more that 2 hours :eek: Still only cost the quoted price though

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Mine was £65 from dealer , comes with all instructions , dead easy ,
do you have electric pack on your T5 if not it might not fit,
Should,nt take ameateur more than 2 hours.T:

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
the fitment of the cruise control on a t5 is quite fiddly, unlike the t4, you have to run wires into the engine compartment and into the ecu, it takes a decent technician (who has done the job before) about an hour and a half to do, sometimes, 2 hours, id recommend getting someone who knows their stuff to fit it really

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've just fitted the Cruise for T5 without multifunction dash.

You have to be careful when releasing the airbag clips, I managed to dislodge one side of a clip which would not release and took me 2 hours to find a way round it using a mirror to see the back of the steering wheel.

Basic wiring is easy peasy as the instructions are good. The main fuse box is under the Battery and this was the hardest wire to locate as there are a series of two sided connectors mounted vertically in a plastic rack and guess what, the one little wire you need to plug in is at the bottom. All wiring is tight and took me a long time to push wires out the way, pull up the rack and locate, undo clip, release locking mechanism, insert wire, lock, re-insert rack, put all wiring back. You're reaching down into a tight space as well.

I have a lot of tools and consider myself pretty handy at this kind of thing, still needed to borrow a spline that fit the steering wheel. Best part of a day to fit. So ask yourself, do you feel lucky punk!?

I would consider paying to have it done if I had more money. Oh and the kit is weighing in at £72.5 + VAT these days and another £14 for VagCom lead or donation to a person with one to turn it on.

·
13,223 Posts
I've just fitted the Cruise for T5 without multifunction dash.

You have to be careful when releasing the airbag clips, I managed to dislodge one side of a clip which would not release and took me 2 hours to find a way round it using a mirror to see the back of the steering wheel.

Basic wiring is easy peasy as the instructions are good. The main fuse box is under the Battery and this was the hardest wire to locate as there are a series of two sided connectors mounted vertically in a plastic rack and guess what, the one little wire you need to plug in is at the bottom. All wiring is tight and took me a long time to push wires out the way, pull up the rack and locate, undo clip, release locking mechanism, insert wire, lock, re-insert rack, put all wiring back. You're reaching down into a tight space as well.

I have a lot of tools and consider myself pretty handy at this kind of thing, still needed to borrow a spline that fit the steering wheel. Best part of a day to fit. So ask yourself, do you feel lucky punk!?

I would consider paying to have it done if I had more money. Oh and the kit is weighing in at £72.5 + VAT these days and another £14 for VagCom lead or donation to a person with one to turn it on.
well done mate!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks Dazboi, it was sheer releif once that cruise control light came on the dash!!!

I saw the Dazboi has a Touran thread, you shouldn't be drivin your missus's car round.......

·
13,223 Posts
im not, had a bit of a disaster to be honest, needs a new turbo, rear spring and cambelt, service loads of work, hoping we'll be finished in time for t4fest, coz ive got to sneak in.......

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm trying to find somewhere in the North East who can do this for a reasonable price, If anyone knows of some who can do this????

Otherwise I have a quote for £206 if there are 3 vans who can have it fitted the same day, which means a 10% discount and a 3 way split on the Call out charge. Anyone interested PM me. I'm searching around over the next few days so will post up anyone local to Newcastle/Boro/darlington who can do it.

Appreciate anyones reccomendations though!
TIA

·
Registered
207 Posts
Great mod to have, our T4 has cruise and I really miss it when I drive anything else. You probably save quite a few MPG as well.
I don't think the economy actually works. Never had cruise on a van (hoping to get a T5 very soon with it though) but I have had it on my last four cars. In each case I am fairly sure that it cost an mpg or two at motorway speeds.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Cruise definitely works
Of course it can't change the dynamics of the engine
But it makes driving more disciplined
You will defiantly see an improvement if you sit at
say 70 on motorway

I don't think the economy actually works. Never had cruise on a van (hoping to get a T5 very soon with it though) but I have had it on my last four cars. In each case I am fairly sure that it cost an mpg or two at motorway speeds.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts