VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the left hand side of my dashboard cup holder was missing so started looking for a fix. I saw some plastic replacement holders but my lug that holds them in has snapped. I thought of getting a oem one but at around £70 and an obvious flaw I thought better of it. So after scouring the net I found a Van-x redesigned part for £45. That will do it should be straight forward...,. Or not...,

the part is well made but not an exact fit. The locator wheels were soooo stiff and it was too tight when you pulled it in and out. The cigarette lighter connections were poor. Anyway I’ve started to modify the part. A lot of sanding grooves and sticky out bits. Now the ashtray cover works nicely but I’ve not tried the unit back in the van yet.. why?

ive ordered a double usb cigarette lighter replacement with a volt meter with red illuminated parts to match the dash. This should turn up today so hopefully willfit this evening.
Here’s a pic of the 2 together
8C2060E6-B7F5-42EA-9843-235CA9D6B73D.jpeg

Van-x top original bottom. You can see the stronger hinge lugs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Mine was busted when I bought my van, but I never use it to house beverage so designed a unit to sit between my front seats which has 2 cup holders plus storage.
Had to remove the tray a while back to get a lot of the broken parts out, what a pain in the back side, so much needs removing to get access to that last screw 😩
Interesting to see how it goes for you when re-fitting, plus with the volt meter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily with the new bit it’s just a push fit as the whole unit doesn’t come out. I looked at a tray between the seats but the wife and kids like the walk through access!!

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Aha, should be easier to refit! I must admit the box does get in the way at times, but it's not permanently fixed so I can move it out of the way when camping.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it arrived and with a lot of struggling and filing I’ve got it in the tray. It’s a little big but it’s in solid now
1185ECCD-1C6C-42E7-A361-79666D498D54.jpeg
B6FD8DE2-7B7A-42A0-9107-8070CF5E55B8.jpeg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is that a volt meter on the cover? How does that work? Do you think those fit the original genuine ones?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that a volt meter on the cover? How does that work? Do you think those fit the original genuine ones?
The volt meter is built on with a transparent section on the cover. I had to widen the hole and it’s a tight squeeze but it should fit, if you can get the old lighter out!

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
That looks rather snazzy (don't think I've used that word before), might have to add this to the endless list (y)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here’s a question.., the live to the cigarette lighter was a permanent live, there was another wire going to the original light ( I assume that’s a light live) and neutral. The voltmeter is permanently on now, so will that drain the battery? I assumed it would be an ignition live

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
The voltmeter is permanently on now, so will that drain the battery?
Yes! It will - but if the current consumption is "typical" for that sort of meter, it will take a very very long time to flatten it.

You would need to look at the spec to be sure, but typically they take around 10mA. If that's true of yours, it will take 1Ah of capacity out of the battery every 100 hours - so roughly 1Ah every 4 days.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update
well guys I have now installed a switch instead of messing with ignition lives. It works really well
930AF0C5-8273-47B5-B705-53CF527CEB8C.jpeg
7F088D52-ECD6-4B54-9758-84F3A8D7E9DB.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Good work Mikey, my ocd would never let me cut a hole through a logo 😂

1 - 20 of 20 Posts