VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Custom T4+T5 t-shirts,...
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we bought our van the cupholder / ashtray was broken. Just called VW and they want £77 + VAT for a replacement :(

Anyone know where I could get a secondhand replacement? It's for a 2003 T5.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Mine was broke too.
I got in touch with a breaker once, they had one for sale but one side of the cup holder was broke and he wanted £29.00 for it.
You can guess what my answer was.I:

·
Registered
606 Posts
If it's any consolation they're not that great as cup holders go, they rattle lots when they are pulled out and have a drink in, the spring action on the cup clamp is a little crude and snaps back so loudly on mine it's woken the kids up in the back!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove the unit. I cant see how it comes out completly, mine is on a 59 plate T5.1 but should be the same i think as the T5

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just a word of caution, I was in the process of robbing my mates from his work van he was returning and his is different 04 to a 59 he didn't have a light around his ciggy lighter.

Plus couldn't get mine out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My drink holder broke now have the perfect solution used a cable tie around the whole unit holds the hinge in place has just enough movement to open holds drinks in place a treat perfect cost pence to fix.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
cup holder removal advice please

Mine is also broken! i should be able to fix it if i could just get it out! can anyone tell me how to remove it?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've had mine out a few times as I re routed the ciggie lighter to my glove box so there is enough room for my quadruple adaptor. Mine was easy to remove- slide out, pull upwards and outwards with force and a wiggle.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Re: Cupholder out and fixed

Thanks for that-the upwards pull with a wiggle and some force got it out. All fixed now and i thought worth noting for others that there is a spring loaded ball bearing mounted on the left hand side of the unit (you cant see it until you pull the unit right out) this is what holds the drawer in so do not fear- a bit of force for a 'pro' no damage removal...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
To disconnect the ciggy lighter - there is a plug on the end of the loom. Unfortunately you need to take out the passenger lower dashboard and panneling in order to gain access to it (atfer removing the cup holder in my case): its tucked away quite nicely :*
I had to take all this apart to fit a 12v socket in the glovebox

·
Registered
121 Posts
somersetrebel - can you post a picture of your fix?

When I bought my caravelle both of the swing out bits that hold the cups were broken off - but I did not know this was the case and put my can of Coke in, needless to say that it fell on the ground fairly quickly getting the nice clean carpet stained!!!! How annoyed was I.

I think I hold the same judgement that even fixed these look fairly rubbish. My wife bought a small pouch that fits onto the vents - this work well and I think was only a few pounds on ebay.

I might look to adjust my one to hold my Sat Nav dock.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
The easiest way to remove the cup holder is pull it out fully then fold down your front twin seat :(

Spent nearly 30mins repairing it to go back in.........:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts