VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a set of curtains for my T5 and have seen various reviews on different suppliers here. I need one pair for side windows and a pair for the barn doors.
Having been given a price locally (£290-300 to supply and fit) I am looking to have a go fitting them myself. I want the full blackout type and it looks like my choice is from Van-X £120, Kiravans £131, Just Kampers £127. From what I have read, the Van-X seem to be better quality but would need to be bent to shape and drilled whereas the others are pre bent and the holes pre drilled. Just wondering how much of a difference this is likely to make to the installation bearing in mind I am a novice! If it requires too much in the way of DIY skills then I may have to get it done properly.
Would be interested to hear your experiences of the ease of installing these different brands and also the differing quality of the rails and curtains (eg material quality and how 'blackout' are they).
I have also noted some dissatisfaction with the quality of parts and the lack of after sales care from Van-X.
Thanks in hope.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just fitted some van-x ones, and I'm no expert. Was pretty straight forward, there was a bit of head scratching but just looking at pictures of how people have fitted them helped. I am still pondering where to put the bottom rail on the tailgate, as my van doesn't have a rear wiper so there's an awkward shape where the wiper motor would go.

The rail is a soft aluminium can bend it by hand pretty well. I don't think pre drilled holes make much difference as you'll still have to drill in to the van to get the screws in, may as well drill the rail at the same time. I found for the awkward shapes to bend wrapping the rail in a bit of cloth then gently tapping it in to the curves of the van with a hammer got a good shape out of it. Either way the rail is flexible enough that even if it's not bent perfectly when the screws go in and hold it to shape it looks like it's bent perfectly.

I'd recommend getting a 5 pack of 2mm drill bits, I broke a few, they are dirt cheap if you get them in advance of ebay, but quite expensive if you have to make a rushed trip to B&Q.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think I have seen a rail fitted over or across the wiper section at the bottom somewhere on this forum.
What do you think of the quality of the curtains?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi
I’m fitting the vanx curtains just now and agree with Chemicali. The rails have to be cut to size, but that’s quite easy. I have the big plastic bit on the tail gate so after seeing some photos on the forum I decided to cut the rail at either side and join the curtains with some Velcro/clip. I have factory side windows on my kombi and getting the drill past the window frame is quite tricky as the 2mm drills break easily in my lowly skilled DIY hands. That aside, really pleased with the quality of curtains.
Good luck
Gavin

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Just out of interest, what colour rails have you got? I see their Eco version comes in black or grey but not sure if you get the same choice for the full blackout version?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with the above comments on Van-X. I've got them in the back and my 3 year old always sleeps late when we're camping - a testament to just how good the black outs are!

Whilst you're getting your drill bits, pick up a good set of short screws, I found that the screws supplied were too soft at times and it was much easier with better screws. The other thing that caught me out was that you really have to stretch the curtain to get them to fit, it's the design and they work fine, but I was concincec they'd sent me the wrong size!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts