VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been reading about the Van X curtains and they seem very popular, however how easy are they to fit. What do you screw them onto? Do you drill holes straight into the metal below and above the windows?

cheers,

·
Registered
585 Posts
My Van-X curtains were a pain in the to fit due to them being 'universal' and not specific for the t4. You have to cut down the aluminum rails, try to bend them a bit at the ends and yes you do have to drill through the mounting side of the rail. I snapped a fair few drill bits and swore a lot but if you measure twice and cut once you should be ok. Btw get the premiums, as if the economy ones are as as poor as stopping light as their divider curtain are then you will be waking up earlier than planned T:

·
Registered
166 Posts
My Van-X curtains were a pain in the to fit due to them being 'universal' and not specific for the t4. You have to cut down the aluminum rails, try to bend them a bit at the ends and yes you do have to drill through the mounting side of the rail. I snapped a fair few drill bits and swore a lot but if you measure twice and cut once you should be ok. Btw get the premiums, as if the economy ones are as as poor as stopping light as their divider curtain are then you will be waking up earlier than planned T:
totally agree with bacon trouses T: we bought van x, and can agree there was a lot of swearing coming from inside( which is why i stayed outside lol i wasnt allowed to help as leigh wanted to do it himself:* hehe)
yes a lot of swearing and quite a few drill bits. but they look great one done, I:
we had the premium ones and are a lot thicker than the divider.
we also learnt was a lot easier to drill threw the plastic and metal all at once. we bent it in position 1st then, and fixed the middle screw first to hold it in place, then did the others.
the akward one which was left to last was the sliding door one as u gt to cut out the door look but leigh just made a tempte out of scrap and then did it on the right one- , they look fab :cool: hes done a fantastic job. he says it wasnt as hasrd or as bad as he though it would b.

good luck:D kate and leigh

·
Registered
117 Posts
Great curtains - quite a faff to fit, buy yourself a pack of 10 x drills from Toolstation/Screwfix - you'll probably need most of them.

Biggest problem I found was that bending the rail it deformed the track (squeezed it together) so the runners had difficulty passing that point.

Also if you want an ultra neat fit and block out any ****** of light - buy yourself another set of 10 x poppers and fixing tool of ebay.

Chris.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi,

I have been reading about the Van X curtains and they seem very popular, however how easy are they to fit. What do you screw them onto? Do you drill holes straight into the metal below and above the windows?

cheers,

Hi Mike,

The rails screw into the top and bottom window recesses. Assuming you have metal around your windows (i.e. you haven't got a Caravelle with plastic trims), you would screw the rails into there.

Have a great weekend, everyone T:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Great curtains - quite a faff to fit, buy yourself a pack of 10 x drills from Toolstation/Screwfix - you'll probably need most of them.

Biggest problem I found was that bending the rail it deformed the track (squeezed it together) so the runners had difficulty passing that point.

Also if you want an ultra neat fit and block out any ****** of light - buy yourself another set of 10 x poppers and fixing tool of ebay.

Chris.
Popper kits on Ebay you say? I never thought about adding more but Ill take a gander :)

And for Mike:

If you have a 'Boyes' in your area they sell packs of 10 HSS drill bits that are perfect for the job for a £1 :eek:

Unluckily for me I found this out after I had spent about £15 on drill bits from Wilkos and Wickes :(

Oh and make sure you fit the end caps before you screw them down ;)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi,

cheers,
Definitely go for the Premium ones, you need an Electric drill and as others say stock up on high speed drill bits 2mm I think I used. Don't rush it. Its a faff bending rails to fit, I did succeed in rounding the ends a couple of inches up the sides which means the curtains open further. If you have carpet all around the window you need to keep your finger on the hole you drilled through or its extremely difficult to find when you try & put the screw in - if you have to take you eye off the spot! We did one window an evening it pays to take your time. Instructions were poor though. ie click on link to print out, then they say look at photos online before ringing us! BUT MUST SAY THEY LOOK GOOD.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Definitely go for the Premium ones, you need an Electric drill and as others say stock up on high speed drill bits 2mm I think I used. Don't rush it. Its a faff bending rails to fit, I did succeed in rounding the ends a couple of inches up the sides which means the curtains open further. If you have carpet all around the window you need to keep your finger on the hole you drilled through or its extremely difficult to find when you try & put the screw in - if you have to take you eye off the spot! We did one window an evening it pays to take your time. Instructions were poor though. ie click on link to print out, then they say look at photos online before ringing us! BUT MUST SAY THEY LOOK GOOD.
Good advice and I'm going to 'chip in' with something else I remembered.

Use a thin piece of masking tape along the rail where you are going to drill it. This will mean the drill bit 'shouldn't' wander so you have a bang on centre hole.

Also put some tape around the base of the drill bit covering the bit that clamps it. If you do, you wont scrape the top of the rail and expose the aluminum when you drill into it ;) Btw in hindsight I wish I had done that, as I would say that 50% of the holes I drilled has scrapes where the drill clamps touched the rails :(

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I had similar problems with bending the track and it squeezing together but if you fill it with the curtain sliders before bending its easier, only worked that out on the last two!
And by the way I bought the veedub transporters ones and they were half the price and do the job pretty well!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had similar problems with bending the track and it squeezing together but if you fill it with the curtain sliders before bending its easier, only worked that out on the last two!
And by the way I bought the veedub transporters ones and they were half the price and do the job pretty well!
They look pretty much identical to the 'Economy' Van-X curtains and they are around the same price if you include the postage. . How well do they block out light?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
My wife and I sleep very well with them closed, but we have normally had enough special pop to sleep with them open!!!:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your advice everyone, I wondered how to screw them to the van. I was worried if I drilled into the Van metal I would come through to the outside.

cheers,

·
Registered
117 Posts
Snap fasteners/Press studs

That's what I meant - you'll need a 'snap fastener tool' too and something to make holes in your curtains :eek: - one of those pliers type thingys with the different punches on a wheel. Rivet together the female on the curtain and screw the male on the bodywork - dead useful also for attaching other bits and pieces here and there.

Chris.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts