VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I’d start a build thread for my van seen as I’ve done so much to it already, Posted quite a lot on my Instagram of the build but thought it would be nice to have it all in one place.

Here she is, 2006 T5 LWB 2.5TDI 174PS.
This is the day i bought it 22nd January 2019. Already had a set of Range Rover Stormer reps on when i bought it which was handy.

From the offset I bought the van to convert into a camper, but having not owned a van before I began making full use of it doing jobs, tip runs picking up materials etc. Very handy indeed.

3 weeks later I then fitted windows to the back of the van, really pleased with how these came out! look good with the black of the van and the 70% tint. Surprisingly easy to fit as well, ordered from Camperglass can came with everything required to install.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next came panel weighting & Insulating. I used flashing tape to coat the panels where they needed it. My van already had a decent amount of damping from factory so it was just a case of increasing this. For the insulation I decided to use rockwool for many reasons mainly because I felt it could fill the voids more effectively than other forms of insulation. This was covered with a damp proof membrane to stop condensation getting to the insulation. Also did the roof panel with the same method using spay glue to hold the rockwool to the metalwork then covered with the membrane. I also ran wiring for the ceiling lights at the same time.

Once the insulation was complete I moved onto lining and carpeting. The van was already ply lined and that was in good condition so decided to cut out for the new window and reuse the ply I had.

20190223_130728.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the van now insulated and carpeted, I then moved onto the headlining and flooring. I chose a grey foam backed suede for the headlining to break it up from the charcoal carpet. With the thickness of the insulation, the foam backing on the suede, hidden clips and connecting up all the lights at the same time, this was by far the worst job i have yet done on the van! but it looks so good and am very glad i did it.

For the floor first I took up the old boards and gave it a well needed clean! The vans 13 years of commercial life meant there was all sorts under here! I used some foil bubble wrap as insulation, I don’t think it will do a great deal but got to be better than nothing 🤷‍♂️. I renewed the ply on the floor with external grade 12mm ply and used caulk on all joints. I then used a cushioned lino flooring with a parquet effect which I think helps add a splash of colour to the interior.

20190302_172555.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far this brings us to the middle of March 2019, wasting no more time I ordered the rock & roll bed, having looked into what beds were available and considering my requirements, costs etc i decided to go for a bed from camperdiy on eBay. I was very impressed with the quality for the price, not crash tested nor does it have seatbelts but for me it’s ideal, I never carry passengers in the back.

It came in kit form so required assembly before installation but came with instructions. I fitted the bed tight to the passenger side as at this stage I was unsure what furniture I would be going for. I then bolted it down using M12 bolts an 50mm square washers.

Comfort wise it’s fantastic, although I’m not sure where else you'd ever choose to have a bed made or leather or vinyl 😅 but with a throw it’s a very comfortable night’s sleep.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next came the decision to replace the blown speakers in the front of the van. I went for a really nice set of Focal Flax PS165FX component speakers.

I also sound treated the outer and inner doors with silent coat sound deadening. and bonded & riveted in the speaker adapters. It's amazing how much of a difference a proper install makes to the finished result.

I still have to amplify these but want to finish the back of the van off so they will have to wait. Still sound very good powered off the head unit mind.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decided the outside of the van needed a litte somthing too so bought some stickers from ebay. It was around this time i bought some new tires, going up a profile to 255/40R20 from 255/35R20. This made a noticeable difference to the ride, but sitll nowhere near as good as the steel wheels.

I then decided on the furniture for the van. Having looked around I decided to go with evodesign as their website was fantastic for getting exactly what you wanted. Really clear about the price, some other firms were a nightmare to find this out! also the reviews they had all said how good they were. When the kit arrived, it was in kit form so on a nice sunny August day I laid them all out on the lawn. And began putting it all together. It was like a massive jigsaw :LOL:

Still got little bits to finish on this but overall really happy with these, colours compliment the rest of the interior nicely.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Noticed some water on the mat in the cab under the dash that kept re appearing, so it was out with the dash to investigate.

Here is the culprit! a tiny bit of corrosion causing a very minor weep, but it was replaced with a new heater matrix.

Also replaced the pollen filter, cleaned all the HVAC ducting and replaced the commonly faulty heater selector cable at the same time.

This was also the perfect opportunity to clean the cab mat, the metal floor, and run the cables for the split charger and 240V Hook-up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was given a suspected faulty 12V compressor fridge from a friend. So, began stripping that down to recondition it. Checked and cleaned up all connections, gave it a good clean and replaced the failed old fan with a larger silent one. Tested to find it was all working brilliantly, result!

Then permanently installed the fridge to the van, decided to put a floor vent in behind the fridge to help with ventilation, and also because the cooker is going above the fridge.

Then Installed the SMEV unit work top was already perfectly cut to size for this which was ideal.

We have fire!

Still have more to do on the kitchen aera but that will come in time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Made a start on the electrics, couldn’t find an off the shelf solution that I liked so decided to make my own.

Electrical spec so far;

110AH Leisure battery with space for another
Dual sense split charge relay
500W Inverter
Split charge cable 35mm
10 Way fuse box for future expansion

I’ve designed the system this way so that when I install a mains battery charger or solar it will charge the leisure battery first and then charge the engine battery when the leisure battery is full.

Having used the system for a few weekend trips the leisure battery lasts the weekend and driving home recharges it fine. A longer trip would more than likely need solar or a 240V charger.

125A Mega fuses either end of the split charger cable.

Bought a 10-way fuse box for distribution of smaller loads, then made my own busbar out of flat copper plate to connect to two 125A Mega fuses, one from the split charge relay, the other goes to the inverter. The leisure battery is then bolted directly to the busbar.

Here is a picture of the electrical cupboard (drivers side wheel arch cupboard) it’s still not finished but you can see where the battery, inverter & distribution is all mounted. There’s room for another leisure battery of the same size if its required. Not yet fully installed the 240V side so updates will come on this soon.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Our work still open as norm ,acording to government alcohol production is essential lol.👍👍👍

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers guys (y)

Decided to give the mechanicals a once over, been meaning to do this since I've bought the van but needed it off the road for a couple weeks. Now is the ideal time!
Started by stripping down the front end to gain easy access to everything.

Once the front end was off, I started stripping down the engine to check on the cam, Turns out that’s worn so a new one is on order.

Whilst I’m in here I’m taking the opportunity to do some jobs;

• Clean out the engine bay
  • Clean out intake manifold
  • New boost hoses, ASV delete & intercooler
  • Glow plugs
  • Camshaft & lifters replacement
  • Front engine mount
  • Fix broken washer pump
  • Engine oil & filter
  • Air filter
  • Fuel filter
  • Flush out old coolant and new coolant