VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really not sure what to do - the love of my life got smashed to bits by a German lorry last month. The missus was fine though. I:

Finally had it recovered back to the UK (hats off to Britannia rescue for that one), but its gone down as a Cat B and cant be fixed. I got to keep the salvage through a bit of wheeling and dealing with the insurance company and have started moving the bits across to the new Caravelle i picked up on Monday (felt like I was stripping my grandmothers corpse for valuables, bad times!).

Problem is the new van is a pretty shocking aqua marine colour, but the seats and bed were customised to match my previous light green van. No way they'll match up so I'm left with a virtually brand new set of seats that I cant use. The bed got slept in once since it was redone. Gutted. Would look great in a white/black/light green van but when this one came up for a stupid cheap price I had to have it.

Any ideas? So far my options are strip em down and start again or respray the van to match the seats (stupid idea but I've got more than enough left over from insurance money to do it). Willing to listen to any offers if anyone likes the look of them?

Heres the front seats. All stitching courtesy of the missus and her magic sewing machine

And the bed...

Full size bed when laid out... piping only covers outer edges so its not lumpy to sleep on. Not that I'd know :(

Oh, and heres the van it came from. Don't look if you're squeamish

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd say paint the new van surely theres a bit of body work needed so kill 2 birds with 1 stone and keep your plush interior T:

·
Registered
242 Posts
really feel for you mate what a loss looked like a nice one before
ive got to sleep with that image, its what nightmares are made of
of course nothing compared to what you have been through :eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah was a bloody nightmare, alright. Eternally grateful there were no injuries (policeman reckoned if I was in a car I'd have lost my head!) but cant help feeling gutted about the van.

The respray option is pretty tempting tbh, it just seems like a heck of a lot of money to lay out considering the paintwork is pretty immaculate on new one as it is (been touched up recently and not a spot of rust anywhere). Can't shrug the thought that It'd feel weird to make the new van the spitting image of my old one too.... feels like I'm cheating as it is :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to hear about your van but at least you and your mrs are ok. The chairs look awesome. I would be really interest in the two captain seats if you do decide to sell them.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
I feel for you bud and if i'm honest the doesn't look far off repairable. Are you buying the van back from the insurance, always worth asking especially if you have lots of nice goodies on it!

I'm sure you already know this but please don't turn this thread into a for sale thread, forum rules. You will no doubt get a lot of scavengers after parts T:T:T:

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the van was officially scrapped yesterday..... All that love and effort and I got a measly £200 for the metal! Saved all the parts worth taking and transferring over to the new van (cruise control, filters, wheels etc) and got the discs in my garage for spares so at least it's saved me a few quid on the new one. Seats are officially for sale, so will list them in classifieds. Thanks again all for the kind words

1 - 8 of 8 Posts